Cornet Mouthpiece Advice PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by TrumpetTom, Jul 19, 2010.

1. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

I have been playing on a Denis Wick Heritage 3 mouthpiece since March 2009 but was recently told I'm too bright. I thought maybe I'm just having one of those days, but then I thought it could be to do with not doing enough exercises on tone quality recently, even though I was told it'll be the mouthpiece by some people. I've decided that either way, it might be for the best to change, as I struggle with intonation on it and I found double and triple tounging easier when I tried a yamaha for 5 minutes a few weeks ago. Also, I've never really had as good a tone out of it as yamaha mouthpieces. I played on a Yamaha 16E and and lewington McCann mouthpieces a while back, but found the rim (which is flat at the edge) was cutting in below my bottom lip (because I play down slightly, because of the shape of my teeth, becasue of my jaw).

Does anyone have any suggestions!!! I need something with a dark tone, that isn't stupidly deep (becuase I play front row in a champianship section band and my range isn't amazing), that isn't hard intonation wise, thats rim rounds off towards the outside so it doesn't cut me and that has a cup diameter of at least 16.75mm..........sounds hard to find!!!!

Any advice/ suggestions are very welcome!!

Thankyou!!

2. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Mouthpiece manufacturers will hate me for saying this but I believe that most people's sound is personal and has little to do with the mouthpiece/instrument combination... Yes a deeper mouthpiece can give you a darker sound but if you are struggling for range/stamina it will probably do more harm than good.
    Extremes of mouthpieces will produce extremes of sound but small changes are unlikely to make much difference. Listening and trying to emulate the sounds around you - possibly relaxing your embouchure a lttle (?).
    Maybe not the best advice but it should bump your post up a little...
    Good luck.
    I suppose the obvious answer is to try a Wick 2.....

3. chill

chill Member

You should be able to get a decent sound on a DW 3. What cornet are you playing on?

4. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

I can but not always consistantly and it sounds abit strained in the top register. It doesn't have that richness either I don't think. As andrew said part of it will be me and I know the sort of stuff I need to do when practicing, I just havnt had time to do it recently - buzzing and long notes. If been told going to a 2 is a stupid idea - way too deep for top section solo cornet stuff. Some people at band thought maybe it could be that fact it's heritage. I play on a courtois chambord 2. I've just had a new one actually (borrowed off my old bands before). The new one needs sorting though because for some reason they spend the best part of 2 months polishing slide legs until they were too small!!!!!! I have also found intonation harder on some notes and valves althought think maybe this is just a blowing in thing and not a fault. What do you think?!

Tom
    Skelmanthorpe band

5. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

To say a mouthpiece is way too deep for top section front row playing is ridiculous! Why not try a 2 and see. Plenty of people make too dark a sound on a 3 and you don't. What's one person's shallow is another's bucket. Hence why there are so many mouthpieces on the market. Trial and error is the only way to go though.

6. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

I think a two would make range and intonation even harder. I might try a normal three again if i cant get my sound good enough through exercises and stilll have problems. Does anyone know what allience mouthpieces are like? I've listed to a recording of him playing a friend of mines arrangement which he did for him and he has a really good tone - richness of yamaha and the accuracy of denis wick. Wouldn't mind trying one If I knew somewhere to try one!!!

Tom
    Skelmanthorpe band

7. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Sorry when I said him I meant rob westercott!!! It's too early!!

8. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Going larger can make the high range easier for some people who have particular embouchure types. Just get out to a shop that stocks a good range and spend an afternoon with a patient friend listening to you trying what's available.

9. All former comments seem equally right to me, but you may try the "David King"-Yamaha mouthpiece. It sounds a bit like you could be looking for something like this one.

The "David King" (that is usually delivered with the Xeno) version is imho based on the 16E but provides for a slightly darker sound. Other features are similar, but it also is slightly harder to play (but you get used to that). I also found that my vibrato comes off better.

I always found the DW mouthpieces uncomfortable. I never questioned my decision to change to the McCann/Yamaha/D. King sort of mouthpieces.

10. chill

chill Member

Our principal plays on an Alliance and loves it. He moved from a DW 3 (normal)

But as per other comments here, there is no right and wrong. Everyone is different.
    I spent the last 2 years on Sop. Never played it before, and it was a very interesting experience getting advice on mouthpieces and finding what worked for me. And what finally did work for me, was very different to other peoples experience.

I am back on Bb Solo cornet and play on a DW4 (it works great for me) !! :)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Cornet Mouthpiece
    Denis Wick Heritage 3
    McCann
    Yamaha
    yamaha mouthpieces
  12. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Sir_Threepwood (sorry don't know your name!) What are the rims like on the David King mouthpieces, because that was the only reason I left lewington maccan and yamaha, as it was flat on the outisde edge (if you get what I'm trying to say) so it made the skin below my bottom lip hard, because I play down. If the rim is rounded towards the outside I think that would definately be one to try!

Tom
    Skelmanthorpe

13. Kjata

Kjata Member

Really? I know several people who play on a DW2 (myself included, but the heritage model) for front row top section stuff!! Personally I love it, it's stable, comfortable, and you can really belt it throughout the register (bottom G's to top E's) completely in tune (well nearly completely, but thats just picky!)...

14. Kjata

Kjata Member

It sounds to me you want to try the heritage!!

15. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

IMHO....take the cash you would spend on a mouthpiece and have a couple of lessons!

If your playing is as you say inconsistent then the lessons would help you eliminate these, and a good teacher would also look at your setup and may suggest something that would help.

16. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

I have lessons once a week (most weeks)... Obviously if my lips are dryer e.g. Sometimes in a morning or if I have a cold or I don't warm up enough (sometimes I need more time to do this than others) it isn't the same as the opposite but I noticed it more on this mouthpiece than I have on any others (I also play trumpet so I'm not just using long term memory). I also know my setups **** and am having a brace fitted to sort that out. And kjata, I play a DW3 heritage already and for me a DW2 will be too deep even if it is okay for you, people you know and Richard Marshall unless as someone said earlier deeper could be easier, but I think thats quiet rare - I've never ears of it before!!!

Tom
    Skelmanthorpe

17. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Sorry didn't read the rules on saying 4 letter words beginning with c

18. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Then this is an issue to resolve with your teacher, and not one that well intentioned advice can!

19. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Yes, but he doesn't know about every mouthpiece in the world - no one does and hes a horn player. Ive stopped lessons for the summer a couple of weeks back but bumped into him briefly last night and he said the brace might change things when I do get one and that I really don't want to go to a 2. He also thought exercises would help like I thought for the tone thingy.

Tom
    Skelmanthorpe

20. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

In my opinion, stick with the heritage. If you are having a fixed brace the larger, flatter rim takes the pressure off your lips more so than other mouthpieces, or so I have found. I have had my fixed braces on for two months and I am pretty much back to where I was before I had it fitted. I lost he ability to play for anything other than a 1 octave C scale (badly!) for a week and I tried several of my mouthpieces to find which was the best option with the brace. The heritage was the only one which didn't cause as much cutting (even with wax - as for so-called 'comfort covers' and lip protectors- don't even go there. Waste of time) and I am sure that is down to the rim on it, and I had no stamina on the other mouthpieces I used.

I love my heritage (I play on a 4 though, not a 3) and I wouldn't swap back. Our end man plays of a DW Heritage 2.

How long till the brace is fitted? I wouldn't even consider changing mouthpieces until after it is on, but that is just my experience of course.

21. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Was supposed to be a fitted one in the autum but looking like winter now. Orthodontist says I should be fine but theres stuff like Morgan bumpers and this mould stuff they call braceguard I could try. I have a friend whos wearing a Morgan bumper ATM. I could have one in purple too!!! (my band colour :p) as I said before I need a round rim anyway brace or no brace!!!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Cornet Mouthpiece
    Denis Wick Heritage 3
    McCann
    Yamaha
    yamaha mouthpieces