Cornet Mouthpiece Advice needed

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Leyfy, May 14, 2007.

1. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I've been playing cornet for about 7 years and never really been happy with my mouthpiece. I can make (what I assume!) is a nice sound but I'm having a bit of a complex with top notes, and having a stamina problem.

Currently I play on a Denis Wick 4b heavytop mouthpiece, but I've also tried a Schilke mouthpiece (which made me sound like a trumpet - and I've now lost and can't remember the number of, but I didn't like AT ALL). I also spent the past year, until recently, playing on the mouthpiece that came with my Yamaha Xeno cornet, but I found that too deep and too wide.

Does anyone know any mouthpieces that are similar in diameter to the Denis Wick 4b but slightly shallower, or would this cause me to sound nasty!!!

I know its not just a mouthpiece problem - its also practice, but I'm doing on avarage 6 hours banding a week and at least a couple of hours of personal practice 'cause I'm supposed to be doing an exam next term!

Help/advice would be appreciated :)
  2. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

It is unlikely that the choice of mouthpiece is the sole cause of your described problem.
    Mouthpiece choice depends on a lot of factors, all of which cannot be diagnosed over an internet forum.
    I would suggest a lesson with a respected teacher. They should be able to diagnose your problem, be that mouthpiece choice or otherwise (usually, breathing)
  3. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

yes, i have regular lessons - and that i'm not taking deep enough breaths is one of the problems....

My teacher tells me my mouthpiece is too deep and before I buy a new one I wondered if anyone had any advice?
  4. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Breathing is the key.. get yourself a copy of Claude Gordons Brass Playing is no harder than deep breathing.

Different mouthpieces will affect different aspects of your playing, sound, stamina, comfort, range etc, but if your breathing is the source of your problem, changing mouthpiece will not help. You may see short term benefits.. but that's it.
  5. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

This is good advice from David. The mouthpiece is only one element of playing and you need to look at all aspects of you playing, from breathing to the mouthpiece the instrument and technique of note production.

A goo teacher will look at you from all the aspects and see what you are and are not doing correctly. Take Davids advice get hold of a well respected tutor and Good Luck
  6. Richard_Brigg

Richard_Brigg Member

be wary of going any shallower than 4b, can sound quite harsh when trying to blend with the rest of your section.

a new mouthpiece isn't really the answer to range/stamina problems.
  7. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

yes, thats what I thought.....

I can hit top A/B/C but it sounds very forced. I'm just getting tired of being told that my mouthpiece is too shallow, and I don't really want to fork out 50 quid plus for something that makes no difference really.
  8. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing
    (for all brass instruments)

Is available for $ 13.95 on Claude Gordon's site.. ;)

Other books (if used correctly) that may help with range / stamina would be Charles Colin's Advanced Lip Flexibilities.
  9. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Thanks for the advice :tup

See how I get on as a solo cornet too!!
  10. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I've only just recently changed (having taken heed of some very useful advice from two different and very good cornet players) to a McCann Mouthpiece. The difference it has made to my all round tone and upper and lower register reach has quite amazed me. I wouldn't have thought it could make such a difference.

I was playing with a Dennis Wick 5L before (god alone knows how!!).
  11. MickM

MickM Member

Played on Lewington McCann for many years, it's an excellent mouthpiece!

Some good advice in previous posts though! Unfortunately there arent any magic mouthpieces out there :( . But if you want a decent all rounder to build on, the McCann mouthpiece would be my choice! Good Luck!
  12. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I played on a McCann for about a year. It wasn't the mouthpiece for me I have to say! I do remember not being as "fit" as a player at the time (i.e. I didn't practice as much, or practice the right stuff as I should have etc).. so, no doubt there would have been other factors involved, not just the mouthpiece.

I currently use Warburton 3DD or 3BC for Cornet, 3MD on trumpet, and I have changed my practice habits considerably !! :)
  13. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Personally, I would say to choose something which makes you sound nice.

With enough (good) home practice, you can regain your range and soforth.

Thats why I personally used DW 2/3 on cornet (and, personally, I wouldnt ever use a B).
  14. Richard_Brigg

Richard_Brigg Member

I agree entirely. Your priority should be to find a mouthpiece that allows you to create a good sound. DW 2 is my choice.
  15. hvb_shizzle

hvb_shizzle Member

I originally playind on a DW 4b, and then was put on a DW 3. my intonation improved dramatically and after some practice found it just as easy as i previously had on the 4b hitting top c's and d's with ease.
  16. alks

alks Member

The best thing i ever did was move from a wick 4B to a WICK 3B !! i thought that going bigger would couse problems and initially, yes, it was briefly a bit tougher, but i can now play much easier on it than the 4b. SO the moral of the story is : going shallower or smaller in mouthpiece spec doesn't always mean you'll get a better high register. I'm now going to get a RW3B and see if it is any different. With the 3B i found that i could get more air through and hence it felt less restrictive than the 4B.

17. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Great advice - really useful thanks everyone.

Am now wondering if its my cornet 'cause I picked up a Soverign the other day and found it so much easier to play..... hmm......

ROBTHEDOG Member

Bigger the better ---- depending on what position you have. Although, I'm not a Cornet player the issues are exactly the same and it's well worth reading the Vincent Bach Embouchure & Mouthpiece Manual to understand what happens.

I personally prefer the rim of the Bach on Euph & Trom, but I play Tuba on Wick. The cornet players in our band predominantly play Wick from 4 to 2. (2nd man down plays McCann) Generally the bigger the mouthpice the bigger the sound, it's down air volume and support and Boyles law.'s_law

In fact if you play 2nd or 3rd Cornet you could even look at a 2fl and 'shave the shank' - - - The intonation problems can be managed with alternates and triggers.

For sure the Bach cornet MP's are shallower and produce a 'brighter' sound which sometime is needed.

I'm surprised your teacher mentioned that the 4B was too deep ? Yes if trumpet but a rich deep sound of a cornet is generally a function of a deep mouthpiece... Although open embouchure and good breating and support is key.

Another thought is to spend time with the Chas Collins Flexibilties book which will help with register & stamina and take a read of this practice comment.

Good luck
  19. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

Ok im also looking for adivce about changing mouthpiece. I currently use a denis wick 4 but i feel i could do with having a slightly wider rim and keep the depth if not a little deeper! Anybody any suggestions i was think the DK Mouthpiece that comes with xeno but can anyone else suggest one!!
  20. alks

alks Member

The obvious step would be to go for a wick 3 then ? or RW3. The rim is a little wider than a 4.

or if you mean rim width rather than inner diameter then theres always a 4W.
    Last edited: May 16, 2007