Cornet - Maestro or Sovereign??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by SilverBrass, Sep 5, 2004.

?

Maestro or Sovereign?

1. Maestro

24 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. Sovereign

22 vote(s)
    47.8%
  1. SilverBrass

SilverBrass New Member

I'm going to buy myself a new cornet very soon, but I'm stuck with which one to get! I've narrowed it down to a maestro or a sovereign and have played them both, and loved them both!!

I'm not currently a member of a band, so I can't go with what the rest of my section play.

HELP!!

Which one to choose and why?!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2004
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Maestro
    Cornet
    band
    rest
    ca
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

4. jpbray

jpbray Member

One of the bands I play with recieved a lottery grant and they bought Yamaha instruments. The instruments are good and perfectly adequate, but the general feling is that the build quality is not as good as the Besson

5. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

Neither, get a Taylor; they are the same price almost...

6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I think the poll is speaking for itself at the mo ;)

7. impycornet

impycornet Member

Smith Watkins for me everytime

Have played on a Yamaha for several years, and also most of the many versions of the soveriegn.
    Have not properly tried out a Prestige but have heard enough bad things about them not to be that bothered ! :rolleyes:

Cheers

8. HBB

HBB Active Member

Courtois, every time...

9. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

SOVERIGIN say no more:-D

10. Bob Stevenson

Bob Stevenson Member

Just a few observations;....The old 'round stamp' Sov seems a better instrument than the current model and can often be aquired for a bargain price,......A member of my band recently bought one as advertised in the classified ads of the local paper for £300 in virtually 'brand new' condition,...It had apparently been standing under the sellers sideboard for 20 years!

I have recently seen two Yammys with stripped threads in their valve trigger lever pivots,...the screws are TINY so thread is delicate,..Sov screws are much larger/better.

To James Howell who mentioned the Taylor cornet in his post above;......the taylor is a great product as are all Andy Taylors instruments,...However, apart from the oddly placed tuning slide which is easy to knock,..there is the matter of price,...as far as I can tell they are not "the same, almost",......A street price for a new Sov is about £1000 and the Taylor seems to be about £2000 (without case) at the moment!! However if you know where to get a new one for the same as a Sov, perhaps you can PM me please!!