Cornet Lyre For Short-Sighted Player!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jockinafrock, Feb 16, 2013.

1. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

The old eyesight's getting worse and I'm finding it harder and harder and harder to read my music from the 2nd cornet bench without my stand literally being on the front row :oops:. Even more noticeable now is the difficulty when using a lyre. I definately can't use a conventional lyre on the 3rd valve slide, so switched to one that attaches to the top of the bell. This was great initially, but now even that is still a tad too close without going cross-eyed! Are there cornet lyres similar to those for some 'bones that would perhaps fit to the bell as opposed to the lead pipe, but have a horizontal shank? Maybe I should just get one adapted, but better if there is one I can buy. Cheers peeps! :D
  2. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Specsavers may be a better bet!!
  3. jockinafrock

At three hundred quid for a prescription I don't think so ... ;)
  4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

You didn't specify a timescale, Fiona, but if my eyes have altered twice in a short space of time, I'd defintitely be going for an eye test.
  5. jockinafrock

Just been a gradual change Will - I have an up to date prescription and my ideal would be to have varifocals but bloomin' expensive as I have a strong prescription. I've also heard different views on how good they are 'on the march'. It's only when Whit Friday and the Remembrance parades come around that you notice things like this - at least in the bandroom you can move your seat or stand (as long as the bod next door has good eyesight that is!) :biggrin:
  6. numptycornet

numptycornet Member

Contact lenses for seeing conductor/not crashing into bloke in front plus half moon reading glasses you can see over the top of for your music.
  7. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I have found with age that my reading eyesight has gone bad also. Most chemist stores sell readers at a fraction of cost to prescrition glass's. for stand distance I use .5 dioptre less than for small print and look over the top to condutor. Normal small print ones would suit lyre use. advice only good if distance still OK.
    before I started to use readers dim light was a problem and I was unable to read the smaller printed sheets. for small print ( phone book) I use 2.5 and for music on a stand I use 2. most stores have a small print guide at the sales stand.
  8. ringa

ringa Member

get yourself to the pound shop. I had to buy a set of ready readers 1.5 strength as my prescription specs (bi focals) aren't good enough. they are brill for work, reading documents and right length for computing but are **** at that little extra for reading music. cheapies do work!
  9. jockinafrock

Think I'll pop along to a chemist or pound shop with my cornet and lyre to try out the cheapies! :wink: Only thing with another pair of specs is having to swap them over! Might have to resort to having them on a chain round my neck! :p
  10. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

I've been wearing varifocals for everyday activity for years, but find them no good for reading music parts, when playing. Each zone of focus is so small that I have to continually move my head as I read across the page. My solution was to get two pairs of glasses, with single-focus prescription lenses put into el cheapo frames. One pair focuses at the distance of my bell-mounted (trombone) lyre and the other at the distance of my music stand. I went to my optician with those distances already measured. He knew exactly what I was getting at and it's proved very successful. These were from a local family-run opticians. I gave up on Specsavers years ago.

However, you may find that a pair of 'off-the-shelf' reading glasses would work for you. They were no good for me, due to astigmatism.
  11. L J

L J Member

Reading from a lyre

I had a similar problem however playing a trombone and wearing bi-focals sure created a difficult challenge. With my music up, I couldn't see to read it..
    I did however get a cheap pair of 'music glasses' that were the strength of the reading / close up prescription.
    They were mounted in some used large sized frames so I could read my music. The large lenses enable me to see the full sheet top to bottom, as I just cannot move my head around to try to adjust my eyes to read the music.
    Now if one were to create an electronic method to put I the lyre and the notes could large sized, being able to scroll would do the trick for we who have a difficult time reading music that now has become a challenge to see!
  12. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Something else that might help is a light. You can buy cheap little battery operated LED lights that attach to the bell/lyre. They have a goose-neck, which is very flexible. I also have a bigger one for music stand use and it really does make a difference for me if the music is well lit. You can even get them with dual lights. It's worth a try, as it's cheaper than a new pair of specs! Incidentally, if you are moving stuff further away, doesn't that make you long-sighted?
  13. foxyflug

foxyflug Member

I've had a similar problem Fiona (must be our age!). I'm great with distance and rubbish up close these days. I hate taking specs on and off (can't walk around in reading specs, but need them to read the music or use the computer or anything close up), and after trying varifocals have finally resorted to this......
    Reading prescription contact lens for my left eye (great for everyday stuff, I can read texts and everything on my phone, and I can see distance fine too) and a pair of cheap Specsaver glasses with the prescription only in the right eye that I use for reading music. I can get away with just the contact lens for music sometimes (don't wear my specs when using a lyre often) but definately need specs to "help" for rehearsals and concerts where I'm really concentrating.
    I've also got a cheap pair of reading specs for when I'm not using my contact lens.
    It has worked out a MUCH cheaper option than varifocals......I'm not that choosy about my frames as I don't need to wear the specs for much of the day!

Seems to be working for me......maybe its worth a try for you?

14. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Where's that like button?