cornet info

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Lady T, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Lady T

Lady T New Member

Hi all,

hope we're all doing well. Just a query on the difference is there is one between a pocket trumpet and a cornet?

I'm looking to buy a cornet and saw one or two so called pocket trumpets on the internet so just checking.

Thanks for all your help

2. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

A pocket Cornet is in the same Key as a normal cornet but half the physical size of a normal cornet and is used as more of an novelty instrument.

If the ones you saw on the internet were on ebay and made in China then in my opinion stay well away from them as they are as cheaply made as they are in price and probably not even worth the amount you would have to pay in postage
  3. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

If you are after a quality but good priced cornet then try John at JP Brass or Shaun at First Brass about the Virtuosi Cornets they are well worth a look at
  4. Glehany

Glehany Member

A pocket trumpet is the same length as a full sized one, but wrapped up tightly so it will fit in a (big) pocket. It's meant to sound like a trumpet and not a cornet. They range from cheap rubbish to very expensive (Monette makes one apparently and it will cost more than a good car!). Apparently Jupiter make a decent one for around £250. They are trumpets though and won't sound like a cornet, but like a trumpet! Apparenly some Jazz players use them!

There are such things as pocket cornets, but I don't know anything about them!

I'd echo the advice about instruments made in China which are apparently total rubbish, as are those currently made in India and the far east.

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Where have you seen these instruments? In a shop or on ebay?
  6. Cyndy

Cyndy Member

Pocket Cornet

I have one,it's a stagg,its black and comes with white gloves :cool: and a 7c (peashooter) mouthpiece.:-? No way would I play it in a brass band it sounds more like a trumpet.
    I don't know how much it cost or where it was purchased, my hubby's boss bought it, he's not a player:confused: so he gave it to me:D
  7. rutty

rutty Active Member

I have a Stagg too. Love it, but it really is a novelty or something small enough to take away with me on holiday.

Here's a photo of it with my Sovereign.

The case is TINY. Nice instrument for £80 though
  8. bennem

bennem Member

Other than the obvious visual difference the pocket trumpet is what is says; a trumpet and accepts trumpet mouthpieces. The other is a cornet and accepts cornet mouthpieces.

You are better off buying a normal cornet if you are looking for a cornet. A yamaha student cornet is a good place to start.
  9. andy;-)

andy;-) Member

I have one off the Jupiter pocket trumpets - you can buy a mouthpiece adapter so that a cornet mouthpiece can be used.

It has a hard case and fits in the bottom corner of a reasonable sized case and is great for keeping the lip in on extended hols and business trips when you can practice a part rather than just buzzing on the mouthpiece - mines been to Japan, Russia, Switzerland, Tunisia, India and round most of Europe over the last few years - especially useful on work trips just before contests!

Was an interesting experience trying to get it past customs in Russia............