Cornet Gig Bags

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by CLAIRE SPONG, Sep 20, 2011.

1. CLAIRE SPONG

CLAIRE SPONG Member

Hi everyone
    The zips have broken on my cornet case and am thinking of getting a gig bag. Anyone got opinions on what would be the best gig bag for a schilke soprano cornet? want to be able to fit my mutes in as well preferably and must be able to carry as you would a normal cornet case as i'm not always able to carry stuff on my back due to intense back pain from Fibromyalgia. Wants to be quite light due to the fibro making me unable to carry heavy weights (hence why I am not going for a traditional cornet case). Also only need to carry the one cornet so don't need a big bag that will carry 3 etc. Have been looking at Fusion and Reunion Blues are these good or will they fall apart in minutes? And will they suit my requirements?

Thanks

Claire

2. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Hi Claire - sorry to hear about your fibromyalgia :( I got a fab wee gig bag from Glyn Williams about 3 years ago - it can hold either 2 cornets or a cornet and your mutes, as well as music. It's smaller than a case that goes in a plane overhead locker giving you an idea of how compact it is. It's pretty light too. It has a shoulder strap as well as a handle and comes apart to be chucked in teh washing machine. I love it! Why not have a chat with him? :D

3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Worth looking at Pro-Tec cases. Lighter than conventional cases, but offering more protection than soft bags.

Nothing wrong with Reunion Blues - mine have lasted years with virtually no signs of wear 'n' tear, but not necessarily enough protection for a Schilke, particularly if you have the lightweight bell variety.

4. BrianT

BrianT Member

The Wantage Band Schilke sop lives in a smart black Schilke plush-lined hard case that's little bigger than the cornet itself.
    It's no bother to carry around and has regular catches rather than zips that can break.
    There's no room in the case so I carry the mutes in a drawstring ripstop nylon bag.

Just once I leant forward to pick up a pencil from the floor with the Schilke on my lap and the solder on the stay between middle valve and bell popped and had to be fixed. It's not a very rugged instrument. Having watched instruments going through baggage handling at airports I wouldn't trust any brass instrument to a gig bag.

Just my tuppence worth...

5. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

Pro Tec cases are fantastic. I've got one for my trumpet. It's very light, but still offers loads of protection.

6. Owen S

Owen S Member

Claire,

I have a Fusion bag (F1 cornet), which I definitely recommend. It's sized for a Bb cornet, but you will probably find that the padding in the bag holds the sop firmly enough for this not to be a problem.

7. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Torpedo bags are the toughest around ( probably) but I'm not sure if they do cornet bags. But then a trumpet one would allow you to put some mutes in too, with a bit of padding between them and the cornet.

8. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

I also have the Fusion bag, and have to say that they're the best gig bag around, and I've had a few!!
    I use it for my schilke sop, you can use the extra padding bag but I don't. Assuming that you don't throw the bag around with the instrument in there's no need to use it as it zips up and holds the sop in place. I also have the Fusion 'Fuse-on' bag that goes with it and use that for my mutes.

Everyone.... get a Fusion Gig Bag, they're the best on the market (IMHO)

Wayne

9. Tom & Will bags are good value, not too heavy - and we sell them (Music Cellar)

10. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Not saying anything against any make of gig-bag in particular, but I do know of one trumpet-playing colleague who refuses to carry any of his instruments in any kind of soft case/bag, referring to them as "a repairman's dream" ...

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Cornet
    Hi everyoneThe
    Fibromyalgia
    Cornet Gig
    normal cornet case
  12. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

Good value... yes
    Good quality... no!

I've gone through 3 and have the stitching has gone in all three. Before anyone comments, had one bought for me which ripped so complained, got to keep that one and had a new one sent to me free. The new one then ripped and I complained again, they wanted that one back to check for quality(!!!) and they sent me new one to replace, then that one ripped. I gave up after that one and bought a Fusion bag, never had a problem with this one.

13. Owen S

Owen S Member

I agree that you don't need to use the extra padding bag, but for me this is lucky. I don't know what instrument it's designed for, but my Yamaha Maestro Bb simply doesn't fit.