Cornet Gig Bags

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tomrisca, Aug 28, 2010.

1. tomrisca

tomrisca New Member

Hi all,

I am thinking of investing in a gig bag for my cornet. I cannot seem to find much information on them. I dont seem to be able to source a supplier for the GIG brand. However I quite like the look of fusion bags. Does anybody have one? What are they like? How much room is there for mutes etc?

Any information would be useful, and if you think any other bags are worth a look please let me know.

I am looking for a back pack style case, and rooms for mutes is essential!!

2. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Hi! I got a great little gig bag from Glyn Williams. Very reasonably priced, it's compact and has two compartments - it easily holds my cornet as well as 4 mutes, a music folder, lyres, tuner, pegs and all the other stuff we tend to hoard... It's sturdy enough to travel well and fits in an overhead compartment on a plane easily . It's quite light and can even be taken apart so that the conscienscous can wash it in the washing machine! Can't ask for more from a gig bag! :clap: Not sure of the make but contact Glyn and I'm sure he'll help. :D
  3. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

Go for the Fusion bag, I've had one for a year now and it's fantastic. It protects the instrument very well. I use mine to cycle into work, I've even fallen off a couple of times and it's not caused any damage whatsoever. It's got pockets to cram all accoutrements in, though mutes struggle to fit in but then there's the add on bag to strap to the main bag which is big enough for about 4-5 mutes.

I highly reccommend these bags.
  4. tomrisca

tomrisca New Member

Thanks both. I will lok at both. Quick question - does the fusion bag come with the extra strap on bag?
  5. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

The fusion Bags come with 2 straps. It is a backpack/Rucksack type bag and it also has a mesh on the backside to create ventilation so no more sweaty back!

If you want comprehensive photos of it just let me know and i'll take a few for you.

6. tomrisca

tomrisca New Member

Yes if you could take some photos that would be great - I just want to make sure I can get mutes etc. in the bag, and that it suits. From what you have said, it does!

Thanks for your help.
  7. Owen S

Owen S Member

I've had a Fusion cornet/flugel bag for about three months, which replaced an old student model cornet/trumpet bag from Gig. I've got an F1, which is the more expensive model with the F2 and F3 having thinner padding. It is excellent, though not perfect.

Comparing the two, I can fit all four mutes (tin, harmon, cup, fibre straight) into both, plus mouthpieces, valve oil and other stuff, but the Fusion bag is a tighter squeeze, and the mutes may end up scratching parts of the cornet. In theory, the cornet should be protected by the internal padded bag they provide, but in practice my Yamaha Maestro simply doesn't fit into it. The Fusion bag is much more comfortable though, and has much better padding. This is probably comparable to the padding of the Gig moulded cornet bag, which of course itself has less storage space, probably less than the Fusion.

Personally, I really like the Fusion bag, but the ideal solution would be to compare both brands at a contest and decide between them. You may not have an opportunity to do that soon enough though.