Cornet Duets

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Farmer Giles, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

Hi all

i am looking for a cornet duet the my cousin and i can play, but i can only think of playmates and ida and dot.

your thoughts please.

FG

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Cornet Duets
    ida
  3. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Try the Two Imps by Kenneth Alford...

D

4. lizi

lizi Member

"Two Of the Tops" bysomeone i cant remember the name of-shal have to get back to u on that one!

5. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Brand new arrangement hot off the press - Trumpet Fiesta arranged by Colin Randle - use either as standard duet or double duet. Review by Alan Morrison will be posted on the MMI Music website (www.mmi-music.co.uk) in the next couple of days.

6. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

I remember playing The Two Imps as a xylophone duet - is this the same one?

7. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Oh yes. You can hear Harrogate Band performing it (in it's xylo incarnation) tomorrow afternoon and evening at the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate... PM me for tickets!

D

8. What was the duet called which was played by Roger Webster and David Daws on the Epic Brass video?? Quite fun listening and watching at...

9. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Wonderful Words (Wilfred Heaton)
    Published by SP&S

10. Razor

Razor Member

The main duet they played was "Wonderful Words" by Wilf Heaton. This was the item that Roger decided to sing in!

The second duet item was a version of Peter Graham's cornet solo "Glorious Ventures".

11. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Two imps is good!!!

Trumpet Fiesta has been out for donkey's yonks, as has it's "partner piece" (well in our library it is!) Trumpet's Wild.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Cornet Duets
    ida
  13. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

what about "the titlarks" or "always cheerful" or "something stupid" or "Mack and Mort" or "two Jolly Boys"

Some are a bit dated but still ok

14. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

It sure has - however as I put in my post this is a brand new arrangement!

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Peter Graham's "Quicksilver" is a good one, as is "Deliverance", although it's been around a long time now. There's also "To set the people free", which I think is Bruce Broughton.

16. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

Something Stupid is a nice piece.

17. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

I was just gonna suggest that! Played it at an entertainments contest yesterday (not me personally though!) and it seemed to go down well.

18. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Oops! We haven't got Wonderful Words on the website yet. I'd better try and rectify that.
    However, we do have Quicksilver which Peter Graham wrote when he was working in New York. The tune featured is 'Hand me down my silver trumpet' and there is a 'Kojak-like' interlude in the middle;
    http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/sps088sm.html

There are plenty of other cornet duets in Salvation Army repertoire but you don't say what standard you and your cousin are. If you can give some more information, I can offer some more suggestions.

19. drinkalot

drinkalot Member

I know him so well is a nice one but can't remeber who did it. Softly as I leave you works well with 2 cornets too.

20. jambo

jambo Member

For a bit of light entertainment you could always do 'Ein Schnaps"

Back to Something Stupid, instead of playing why not contact Hepworth for their singing version that Mr Bentham did for two Unlucky comedy victims in the band....Still Scarred! Also goes down well though! :oops: :roll:

21. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

It's on the WoB site now;
    http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/sps123sm.html

22. Great duet quiksilver, its on the British open 1996 cd, James Watson and Philip Smith playing it with dyke accompanying them. Another good SA duet is an oldy called Always Cheerful, I have an old knackered cassette taken from an even older knackered LP of James Williams and Derek Smith playing it!
    Also Lover of the Lord and Captain and Lieutenant are great fun too, slightly easier is In shining armouror a duet called Hosanna which is straight forward enough. Mentioning these brings back memories of a mis-spent youth where my father used to drill these into me on a saturday afternoon!!!! :) memories!
    I'm sure SPS or www.worldofbrass.com will have many of these available if not now, but in the very near future.