Cornet Cases!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by meandmycornet, Aug 10, 2007.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I need to get a new case for my cornet!

For about 18 months i've had a nice bright purple gig bag (you can see me coming!) but sadly the big huge back pocket (mutes pocket!) has broken, the zip has completely bust rendering the whole case useless!

I'm quite disappointed in gig bags.... it started to break at least 6 months ago, and has gradually got worse, until it completely broke last night!

So..... I don't want to get another GIG.... please and thankyou!

Any suggestions? I want something big enough for my cornet and my three mutes, and all the other (seemingly endless) junk I seem to carry round with me!

Thank you muchly!

2. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Don't have a prestige case like mine - room for music but it's in the back and gets wet when it rains. Dog hairs stick to it and don't come off and i'd be lucky to hold 2 mutes yet alone all three. Other than that it is nice to have on your shoulder.

Try one of the black leather bags that hold a couple of trumpets.
  3. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

I can get four mutes in the prestige case!

A straight metal, straight fibre, harmon and cup!

Its all about how you position them!

4. andyp

andyp Active Member

I liked the Cortouis cases, music folder on the outside, plenty room for mutes, and you could wear it like a rucksack.

Only same size as normal case though, not the kind of thing you can get your "lunch" in as well!
  5. meandmycornet

Does anybody have one of the Ritter triple trumpet cases?

Are they ok for just one cornet? :p I'm thinking it'd be pretty good as I could fit all my stuff in the one bag.... so wouldn't need seperate bag for music and stand etc.... are they really as roomy as they sound and look?
  6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Yeah my flugel lives in one permanently. They're OK I guess - not cheap though and I'm less than impressed that after only 18 months all the rubber tags on the zips have split and are ready to fall off. Not good.

That said, after a year and a bit living in it, my flugel has been left unscathed despite me shoving every increasing amounts of junk in there, and I can easily fit flugel and cornet in it with room for a flugel stand and mutes etc for the odd time I need to have both. They are nicely padded, well stiched together bags, I just wish the zips weren't so cr*ppy.
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

8. meandmycornet

They seem to retail at around £59.95.... considerably cheaper that the average 'GIG' gigbag!

Do you think I will be able to fit in a cornet, 3 mutes, cornet stand, lever arch file and music stand? :tongue:
  9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

10. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

Why don't you see if you can get a repair shop to put a new zip on your gig bag, just a thought !!
  11. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Yes Fi. You just won't be able to lift it. :rolleyes:
  12. BrianT

BrianT Member

Instrument Cases...

Years ago I added a strap to my Strad case. I had a pair of flat chrome U bolts (from an old portable radio, I think) which had a 1" gap between the threaded bits. I mounted these butted up to the catches. I can wear the case over one shoulder and have both hands free. I've walked miles with it. Much tougher than a gig bag, and there's room for other stuff inside.

If you don't feel like taking a drill to an existing case, I've always been impressed by the flightcases that the Smith Watkins cornets ship in. They look pretty tough. Or you could do something similar yourself with an aluminium toolcase from a hardware shop, with the foam blocks cut to fit the instrument.

BTW, I remember my teacher telling me that you could get a trumpet case like a mechanic's toolbox - you open it and you get several "layers" of instruments all rising up. Well I belived him...
  13. billy_p

billy_p Member

Wiseman cases are mint, pretty expensive but they are made out of proper quality materials and 6 years on mine is still like new. they do a double and triple that have funny foam inserts so you can tailor the case to exactly what you need, the quad one is a bit more like a gig bag as usual. the case is hard but much lighter than a usual case, plus has shoulder straps. like i say, expensive but quality
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2007