cork or rubber?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by baritone impresario, Feb 6, 2004.

1. on some instruments the spit key has cork or rubber.which one is the better?personally i prefer rubber..............

NICK HARRIS
    SOLO BARITONE CMFCB
    NOT A CONDUCTOR
    NOT A MEMBER OF ANY WIND ENSEMBLE

2. HBB

HBB Active Member

I've always had cork, so I've never known any different ...

3. i used to have cork but found that rubber seems to fit more tightly onto the tube.also rubber doesn't split much unlike cork which wears out over a period of time and leaks.

nick harris

4. HBB

HBB Active Member

THat's true ... and I lost a cork on my Soverign too! :(

5. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Now Nick, i wouldn't go for any of them. Blue-tack is far superior, and it also means that if you get bored in a rehearsal you can break some of it off and throw it at people! :wink: :D

6. Hollso

Hollso Member

My Getzen cornet has funny valve button things. They're alright, but my hand gets a bit... wet :roll: They're definately something different.

7. Trom41821

Trom41821 Member

Our trombonist once got a water key cork stuck in his mouthpiece (they were both in his pocket!). Intially he thought the trombone had sprung a leak and as this was 5 minutes before a concert all the joints on his "bone" were taped up with insulating tape. It wasn't until he went on stage that he found the cork in his mouthpiece!!!!!!!!!!

There are many equally as daft stories about this trombone player that I might be persuaded to tell!???

8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

9. eric

eric Member

You sad man.... :roll: Does it really matter ?

10. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

well that was helpful... :roll:

i think we had a thread while back about a fancy new kind of water key... someone more qualified will give you a link I'm sure!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    rubber
    spit key
    WIND ENSEMBLE
    SOLO BARITONE CMFCB
  12. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Cork one kept falling out of my old euph, it got a little irritating after a while ... :?

13. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Glad you noticed!! :lol:

14. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I've never had anything except cork personally, but I know people with rubber.

Yes Cork can dry out, but isn't that the advantage?? I mean water left to sit and not dry out would go moldy, wouldn't it with rubber??

15. Highams

Highams Member

The Willson euphs come fitted with a rubber on the waterkey that slots into the hole so the airflow is not disturbed.

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk

16. Banana

Banana Member

That's the glue, not the material of the bung! Try Uhu. Or am I missing the point (what point?) - aren't you supposed to glue them in?

17. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

I personally don't like either...

My Taylor London has Armado waterkeys (I'm guessin they are what the ealier poster "fancy button things" was referring to)

They never leak, they don't spray spit everywhere and they don't dent your tubing.

18. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

I personally prefer rubber--oh wrong website :oops:

19. Banana

Banana Member

:lol:

20. dyl

dyl Active Member

I've never been to Cork! And didn't even know there was a place called Rubber. :roll:

21. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Never said I blamed the thing ... I just couldn't be bothered to glue it back in so I just wedged it in as far as possible ... :)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    rubber
    spit key
    WIND ENSEMBLE
    SOLO BARITONE CMFCB