Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Accidental, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Have a few copyright related questions at the mo.... I know the issues crop up on here all the time, but who are our resident experts?
  2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

... be surprised if anyone claimed to be an "expert"; too much of a minefield ...

[helpful as always ...:oops: ]
  3. Accidental

yeah, thanks for that! :)
    Ok then, for "expert" read "person who knows a bit more about it than the average layperson and is willing to try and help answer a few questions"....
  4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps a good starting point is tMP Copyright Fact Sheet. There are a few members here who know a little more and have in the past given advice, but I'll let them introduce themselves rather than pushing them forward.
  5. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Found the Fact Sheet very interesting - thankyou. I do have a question though - when copies are submitted for adjudicators to use at solo comps, should we destroy copies after the comp, and only return originals? I see this in rules for solo competitions and just thinking about our comp next year. Cheers.
  6. Accidental

Yep, read the fact sheet several times and found it very useful in the past, so thank you for that.
    My original question still stands though!
  7. fsteers

fsteers Member

Commercial, i.e., purchased, copies provided to adjudicators may be retained; photocopied adjudicator scores should be destroyed unless the publisher or rights holder explicitly grants permission in writing to retain them. (Don't forget that permission must be obtained from the rights holder for non-commercial adjudicator copies.)
  8. fsteers

fsteers Member

You might want to note that scanning a copyrighted work onto a computer without having to obtain permission IS permissible under limited circumstances, e.g., to make a temporary copy (Copyright, Designs and Patents Act, Chapter III, ¶28A) from which to produce an accessible copy for personal use if an accessible copy is not already commercially available (Chapter III, ¶31A-E, Visual Impairment).

(OBTW, does anyone else find it more than a little ironic that the Copyright Fact Sheet quotes copyrighted material, without attribution to the copyright owner?)
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  9. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

I note that the Copyright Fact Sheet contains the following attribution "Some of the content on this page comes from the UK Copyright Service website and subject to licence. Please visit for details."

Would you care to specify what other copyright content hasn't been attributed?
  10. fsteers

fsteers Member

Oh, just virtually the entire Most Frequently Asked Copyright Questions section, which, save for the substitution of "cornets" for "baritones," "euphonium" for "flute," "bassoon" for "clarinet," and the insertion of the questions pertaining to existing copies in a bandroom library and the length of the copyright term, is lifted verbatim from Copying Under Copyright: A Practical Guide[/i] developed and published by the Music Publishers Association of the United States in 1999.
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

And how does that compare to UK Copyright legislation?