Copyright Question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by mikelyons, Dec 23, 2008.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

This is one for all you copyright boffins out there.

I wrote a piece, some time ago, for bassoon quartet. Within a few weeks, I thought "That's a good piece for low brass, too!" So I arranged it.

I have now placed the arrangement with a publisher. What is the position regarding the original? Does it count as an arrangement under copyright or is it a separate entity from the version that the publisher has?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :dunno:dunno

2. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I would presume the publisher only has control of the arrangement of the original piece. Therefore, as composer and copyright holder of the original composition it would stand as a separate piece of music.

:tup

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Spot On!

4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

If they (the publisher) have treated it contractually as an "arrangement" rather than an original composition. I would read the contract carefully in this case.

Mike, is your publisher aware that they have an arrangement of your exisiting original work? Because if they treat it in the contract as an original work, your original will then be (in the eyes of the law) an arrangement of the published "original".

This is a bit like a script for "Yes Minister" :eek:

5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Tell me about it! :roll:

It also has elements of G&S in it as, technically, the older piece will be the child of the younger piece. Has anyone got any paracetamol? I'm getting a yedwarch (as they say round here!)