Copyright Permission for Unpublished scores...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Thirteen Ball, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Hi All.

I've some experience of sorting out copyright based on arrangements from Piano scores etc, but I've hit a snag.

A friend of mine wants an arrangement of a piece by Ennio Morricone, and I'm convinced it'll work so I've said I'll look into doing it.

However, like so much of Morricone's stuff, there isn't any published sheet music. I don't doubt I can do the arrangement from hearing the music - but it also means there's no convenient "All rights reserved" bit to tell me who to write to to ask for permission!

I've asked PRS who I apply to for copyright permission twice now and they've not got back to me on either occasion. :(

Anyone any ideas what other avenues I can explore?

2. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

go down to your local record store and the info should be on the CD

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Are there no MIDI files available to give you a little help? Possibly the copyright permissions may accompany them onsite.

4. The publishing rights do not always lie with the recording rights. The vast majority of film rights lie with either Music Sales or Faber Music, or companies they represent on an agency basis. You best bet is to start by writing to either of those two companies, as no doubt they will advise you if the rights are with the other!

5. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

If you are a PRS member, you can search their database online.

If you are not, I would be happy to have a look for you if you can divulge the title.

6. nethers

nethers Active Member

What music have you been asked to do?

I have a couple of Morricone arrangements I did a few years ago which never got out of my printer due to difficulty chasing copyright, so let us know when you find an answer!

7. Thirteen Ball

Thanks to the assistance of one Mr Sparke, I now know where I have to go, in order to ask the requisite questions.

Thanks muchly, Philip! :clap:

8. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

A bit of a 'pain in the neck' question here, but i'm trying to arrange 'Mama' from the 'Il Divo' album, simply called Il Divo.

I've checked the thank you's etc at the end where it tells you who played it and arranged it etc, but i can't find the place i need to write to for permission, and in all fairness, i'm not sure which to write to anyway.

Does anyone know which one to write to for permission for this arrangement?

Cheers
    Jonny

9. Thirteen Ball

Do what I'm gonna do Jonny. Join PRS.

Then all you have to do is type in the details and it tells you who owns it.