Coping with the Heat!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by persins, Jul 15, 2005.

1. persins

persins Member

hello there,

Now that we seem to be getting into the proper summer months, I was just wondering if any of you have any interesting tricks for dealing with the heat of either playing outside or on a contest stage?

I find that I overheat very easily and often it manifests itself with sweaty palms (although nerves may also have a role to play in this). I have taken to wearing a golf glove on my left hand to stop it slipping on the cornet while playing at certain gigs / contests.

Although this has proved to be a source of great amusement within my band, it really does work.
  2. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

A spray that cools you down.

Fantastic stuff.

get along to your nearest Boots its about a fiver and worth every penny.
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

[IMGLEFT][/IMGLEFT] I have to agree with that, superb stuff - really works. I've not tried it whilst playing (I don't do much of that any more!!) but I do use it when playing squash or running on my treadmill. Works very well...
  4. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Yes you do look like a reject from "Five Star"
  5. Di

Di Active Member

Whats in it then? Can't you achieve the same effect with a little squirty plastic bottle and water?
  6. persins

persins Member

I don't doubt that it is good for cooling down and I have used it before (but not for playing) but, Spraying stuff like that is going to loosen the grip on the cornet even more.
    I tried that grip stuff from Physio Sport previously but that looked even more dodgy when applying it!
    Sorry guys but the glove may have to stay!!
  7. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

A lot of info about Magicool can be found here.

It is mainly water with an added coolant of dimethyl ether. :cool:
  8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

No sorry can't give you any tips as I'm struggling with the heat myself. I haven't slept properly for over a week now, couldn't play properly on Sunday due to a total lack of any high register and sweat in my eyesand now I'm being attacked buy hoards of random flies / moths / daddy long legs. That'll teach me to leave the window open with the light on...

I could do with that Magicool stuff in a large timed spray bottle programme to spary overnight so I can get some semblance of sleep. (Shhh that might be a patentable idea....;) )
  9. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Nope. Shouldn't do.
    Basically, something like this would be an organic solvent dilution, which is designed to evaporate almost instantly, taking the heat it needs to do so directly from the surfaces it's sprayed on.

Basically, spray it on your hands, and it evaporates immediately, leaving your hands dry and cooled. In theory anyway. Not sure about the smell though...
  10. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

So he needs a can of Magicool and Deodorant!

11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I have my own way of coping with the heat. It's called living on the Isle of Arran! Rarely get the stifling temperatures the rest of the UK get (particularly 'darn sarf'!)

12. persins

persins Member

Nice! Now that'll really stop the band from laughing at me!:confused:
  13. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Other than air conditioning, I can't offer any suggestions. We are currently in the middle of a heat wave which, for the past three weeks or so has seen temperatures in the 30's celsius (that's in the 90's in "real" degrees) with high humidity. In Cambridge on Saturday we had heavy thunderstorms and torrential rain for much of the day. It had no effect on either the humidity or the temperature. This weather is more akin to Florida or Georgia.

As for the glove, I'd say if you can put up with the leg pulling and it works for you, stick with it (no pun intended) but maybe you should have switched to a pitching wedge for the high register stuff ;)
  14. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

You lot are all going soft. Where's all your bant gone?

[cue=dvorak New World Symphony 2nd movement]
    When aah were a lad...

Ye wer' lucky if yer insturment dint melt in yer ands.. 'n' yer bits fall off int winter. None o' them sissy gloves, like...

Bah Humbug! (oops! Wrong season.:oops: Ahem...)[/cue]
  15. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Well... since what you guys consider as a heat wave is commonplace for Texas for about 4 months straight (May-Sep), I tend to just stay inside with the Air Conditioning. Fortunately, most of our concerts are to be inside as well.

FYI - last week was 106F w/60% humid. Thank God my Jeep isn't the only car I own. :D
  16. madrich

madrich Member

Valve Guard

I discovered this solution to your problem by total coincidence. I have quite acid sweat, so consequently everything silver which I touch goes black almost instantly. This lead me to purchase a leather valve guard to protect my beloved Maestro from the evil blackness.

I bought it from here They make guards which fit most instruments - I can directly recommend the "Special 3rd Valve Guard for Yamaha YCR" it fits my Maestro like a glove and really does improve grip on the instrument as well as making it generally more comfortable to hold. I haven't tried the Courtois variation as I don't own a Courtois and hopefully I never will :)
  17. Band_Beefcake

Band_Beefcake Member

One of the best techniques I was ever shown was at an indoor concert when the lights were beaming on us and I felt I was going to melt. Our Bb bass player at the time suggested this and it worked a treat. What you do is lick your fingertips and get them quite moist then rub your ear lobes then get someone to blow on them and this really cools you even if it is a quick fix, worth a try :p
  18. persins

persins Member

Hmmm, I bet Jim and Karl would get very worried if I mentioned that to them (BBb bass players in my band!). I might have to wait for some new recruits into the band before suggesting that one!! Good suggestion though!