Copacabana - Barry Manilow

Discussion in 'Sponsor Announcements' started by Andrew Norman, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

New for Brass Band from PDF Brass
    Copacabana by Barry Manilow
    Ideal for next summer's World Cup in Brazil.
    Available to Print & Play only £10 here.
    Suitable for most levels of band.

Brass Quintet, Wind Quintet and Sax/Clarinet Quintet versions also available
    £5 here.
  2. Trumpet Major

Trumpet Major Member

The link isnt working

3. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Thanks for the "heads up" you should find links to all versions here.
  4. bassendworld

bassendworld Member

Can confirm the Quintet version we have been using goes down a treat everywhere!

Keep up the good work

5. In the page to which your link leads, you say "Add Latin Percussion if you like." What percusssion, if any, is written in your sheet music?
  6. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Kit part only - add Latin percussion "ad lib"
  7. Just like that, eh? In my case and, I expect, for the vast majority of brass band percussionists, to do justice to that song would involve careful thought, preparation and practice. I am pleased that I am able to do some fairly complicated Latin percussion, but I have merely scratched the surface.

For arrangers and musical directors, and anyone else that needs or wants to know what is really involved in Latin percussion, I recommend Michael De Miranda’s Youtube channel:
  8. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

I appreciate your point and if you are looking for music with detailed percussion parts then mine are not for you - in fact in most instances my arrangements work well without percussion at all.

Many lower section bands struggle to get even a kit player with any sort of regularity and it is really these bands that my music is aimed at.

It is nice to know that there are dedicated percussionists like yourself, with a positive outlook to brass band music.

9. Andrew, thank you for your reply.

Lower-section, and no-section, bands are, in my opinion crucial to the health of brass banding as a whole. We and banding generally need arrangers to cater for us.

My point wasn't a "go" at you. I was taking the opportunity, presented by what you wrote, to make that point. Some might suggest that I was I was using you. I hope that you will forgive me for that.

I am pleased that you yourself made the point about how difficult it is to get drummers into brass bands. I believe that many bands need to change before that situation can be improved. In turn, before that can happen, there needs to be some understanding on the part of brass players, and of musical directors in particular, of what drums and other percussion involve.

My aim is to try to help the process of getting people to understand. Perhaps that should be “start the process”, for the present position is a poor one, wherein, far too often, it is necessary to challenge silly (to put it mildly) attitudes, to the effect that all brass players are superior to all drummers. Ultimately, drummers will go elsewhere if they are treated as if it is just a matter of dragging someone in off the street and they’ll be able to do it!

Apart from the attitude problem, we have misunderstanding among people that really ought to know better. Thus, for example, a drummer might attempt to discuss with an MD how to play Derek Broadbent’s arrangement of The Lincolnshire Poacher and being told “I want it as-written”. Have a listen to this rendition see just how important a good drums-part is in that arrangement:

A drummer faced with such an answer will know straightaway that the MD does not know the subject and that it is a waste of time. As Mr Broadbent would tell you (I hope!), there is effectively no “as-written” for drums in his arrangement apart from a few dynamics and accents. It is almost all left to the player.
    These matters need to be discussed, and not swept under the carpet while brass players retreat into their prejudices and have them reinforced by those who should be educating them.
  10. I had overlooked that point.

I must add that I hope that you do not include “Copacabana” in that observation. Such a tune played without percussion is like a tomato sandwich without the tomato, surely. Similar goes for brass bands attempting rock music, jazz, music from the shows and numerous other styles of music without drums.
  11. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

I DO include Copacabana in that category - the bulk of my music starts as quintets and the challenge is to write for these ensembles which do not have any percussion at all.
    As a Jazz musician I frequently perform without a drummer - don't get me wrong I have nothing against drummers, some of my best friends etc. etc.....
  12. To be fair, then, Andrew, I must wait to hear your brass band arrangement of this tune played without percussion. However, I am sceptical, for the reasons I have given. Also, for me, jazz groups playing material of that kind are themselves lacking an essential element. In any case they are not brass bands.
  13. DRW

DRW New Member

My tuppence worth - there is something magical about a piece usually associated with intricate percussion parts being played with none.
  14. By the way, my apologies to Andrew for hijacking his thread.
  15. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

Dear BBD

Have you tried softer sticks ?

16. Eh?
  17. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

Apologies if that was too enigmatic a reponse.

I was just trying to make the point that brass band MDs clearly do understand the complexities of percussioning as I have often heard them ask the drummers if they would try using softer sticks.

And it seems better afterwards,

That was all.
  18. ... and there was I thinking that you were advising me that if I went more softly about making my point then I might make more progress. What you really had in mind was, of course, far nearer to the reality of rather too many brass bands.
  19. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member