Cootie Williams and the "Saxo-Trumpet"

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by scbowie, Feb 17, 2012.

1. scbowie

scbowie New Member

Hi All:

I’m writing a biography on Cootie Williams and came across the newspaper article below. Does anyone have any ideas or leads on what this instrument is or who was the manufacturer?

Thanks,
    Steve

The Pittsburgh Courier
    July 31, 1948

‘Saxo-Trumpet’ Cootie’s Idea
    CINCINNATI, Ohio – The growl trumpet star, Cootie Williams will probably go down in history for having given the music world its latest and newest instrument. Plaing an engagement at the Cotton Club here last Sunday, Cootie gave the first public demonstration on his new instrument, which he is tentatively labeling as a “saxo-trumpet.”

The instrument, brainchild of Williams and an instrument manufacturer, has the full range of a trumpet, in addition to some of the tonal quality of the saxophone. The tone is achieved by a concealed reed and radical alteration in the shaping and lines of the normal trumpet.

2. AlfaFreak

AlfaFreak New Member

Hi Steve
    I'd try a similar post on another forum www.trumpetherald.com.

Lots of Jazz historians there and knowledgeable people regarding instrument builds, in particular US makers

Cheers

3. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

4. scbowie

scbowie New Member

Thanks for the lead! I've recv'd a couple of responses already....

5. cornyandy

cornyandy Member

Try also trumpetmaster, I find its a little more open then trumpetherald, but it is horses for courses