Cooking...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Big Twigge, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Ok, so I've decided lately that I'm going to become a domestic godess, so I made leek and potato soup the other day and I'm currently making some steak and ale pies (mmmmm, they smell so good...)

But I find that I always cook the same things - namely spag bol, lasgane, stir frys etc

What is your 'safe' dish, that tastes fabulous and doesn't take too much hassle?!
    And if it's great can I have the recipe please!!

2. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Smoothies are easy :D:D:D and before you ask, yes, a smoothie counts as a meal in my opinion!!! Just chuck any fruit in- always comes out nicely. I can also make nice risotto but it takes ages- I can give you the recipe if you want to spend over an hour cooking?!

3. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

My roast potatoes :) the only thing im proud of cooking at uni! I have no idea how i do it and no idea how long they take! but they taste dam good!

I did make a lovely chicken casserole one day the recipe was on the back of the colemans sachet :)

4. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

When I was at college I did a bedsit cookery course - little did I know how useful it would be when at age 31 I live alone!!! sad eh??

I'm like you - I love cooking but have quite a limited repertiore!! When you next do a stir fry use sherry and a bit of sesame oil, mmm lovely!

For a very easy pasta dish I like to fry a small onion with a bird eye chilli, add mushroom and diced aubergine, small tin of toms, half a cup of veg stock, black pepper. Serve on pasta with some flakes of parmesan - GREAT for one!

5. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

My roast potatoes are yummy too! I could quite happily have a plate of roast potatoes and gravy! :tongue:

I know how I make mine though... mummy taught me!

Spuds - however many you think you need.... peeled and chopped to your preferred size.... I like mine fairly small... easier to mash into gravy then!

stick them in a pan of water (boil the water in the kettle first.... makes the cooking quicker!)

cook them for about 15 minutes.... don't worry if they 'fall' cus you get lots of yummy crunchy bits later (I actually like them better that way!)

stick them in a baking tin and slosh over big lots of olive oil and shake a bit (helps if your baking tin has sides so you don't lose your spuds!)

put in the oven (have it pretty hot! and preferrably preheated!)and keep checking them.... they generally take about 30-50 minutes depending on quantity and size.... and they are done when they are all crispy and goldeny looking.... if they are taking ages (and to get more even crispyness) take them out halfway through and slosh on more oil and shake them again!

mmmm I want roast spuds now! :tongue:

Other than roast spuds... and roast dinners in general I haven't really cooked much else other than the normal pasta and rice... although I do know how to make spag bol and chilli con carne.

I made my nana a cottage pie once aswell... and that was scrummy!

6. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Joint of beef cooked in the slow cooker

just bung it in whole, pile all my veg around it, pour a bit of gravy in the bottom and switch on

come home from work to a fantstic smell a gorgeous meal waiting for me

7. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Oooh my mum has had quite a few sucesses with the slow cooker. T'is lovely!

I've just had one of my favourite meals, Chicken pie.....mmmmm. I could get used to this last meal thing! :)

8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Errrrr cheese and ham on toast....:oops: I'm really not much of a cook (and its something I'm not too proud of either) I don't know why but usually anything I try to make ends up going wrong in some way. I can get by when I have to, but I guess the fact that usually I'm fairly late getting home from work, means that I don't get time to practise the few culinary skills I do have.

I'm also lucky enough to be married to a very good cook, and I would say that the missus' sunday roasts are fabulous, no matter what the meat is - Beef, Chicken or Lamb.

Oh and she tells me I'm quite good at making the gravy....:redface:

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I tend to stick to fairly straight-forward things these days, mainly stir fries, omelettes etc.

Today it was curry, with mince, potato, cauliflower, brocolli, mushrooms and a tin of tomatoes - slightly over-estimated the quantities, so that's tomorrow's supper sorted out as well!

10. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Its not fair I didn't get a last meal :(

I think it was partly because I requested Roast Beef and Yorkshire Puddings.... and I was at work at 6pm yesterday evening... so having that at 3pm was completely unreasonable apparently :(

I'm going to come home again for my last meal at some point in the not to distant future! :tongue:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    bol
    leek
    safe
    frys
    spag bol
  12. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm...so THAT'S where I went wrong! :rolleyes:

13. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Poor Crawf losing your spuds :biggrin:

All joking apart my safe dish is Stuffed Peppers. Just make up a chilli mix, take the top off the peppers, pour in the chilli, top with cheese then place in the oven till cheese is brown and bubbling!

14. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Paella or risottos both fairly easy to make except you have to add the stock a bit at a time with risotto and that's a bit time consuming. Try either of these and you just need a large paella pan of big frying pan or at a pinch a wok might do.

Paella
    Fry onions (with optional garlic) and some chopped peppers, add chopped chicken/pork and Chorizo sausage cook till coloured. Add extra oil, add rice and fry - then add hot chicken/veg stock with soaked saffron (if on a budget use tumeric for colour). Leave to boil for 15/20 mins till rice has soaked up stock. Final ingredients dependent on budget and choice - raw prawns (tiger are best) and mussels. Parsley and pepper (generally doesn't need salt as stock is usually salty enough)

The great thing about this is you can change the ingredients to suit whatever's in the shop - I sometimes use the packets of pre-cooked squid, prawns and mussels.

Rissoto

Similar process but add the stock slowly over the cooking time. My favourite is mushroom risotto with loads of parmesan cheese and for the non-veggies add chopped bacon and black pudding fried in a separate pan till it's really crispy. Serve with crispy warm bread.

Hmm that's me sorted for tea tonight then.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  15. 2nd man down

What did you say your address was Fran? fancy one more for tea tonight?? :rolleyes:

16. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Sorry can't give you that - I'm waiting for a better offer ;) .

17. 2nd man down

It's not like I wanted to pick out curtains or anything Fran, I just fancied some of that righteous sounding Paella!! ;) :p

18. Risotto is my safe, yet impressive dish

Recipe available on request, cheques payable to Robert J. Newton

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

My safe dish is a hurry curry ...

meat
    can of chopped toms
    2 or 3 cloves of garlic (chopped and crushed)
    couple of slices fresh ginger (chopped and crushed)
    1 tsp cumin powder
    1 tsp coriander powder
    1 tsp chili powder
    seasoning (salt/pepper)
    sliced green pepper to add near end of cooking

- fry to seal meat and then add garlic/ginger until soft (turn heat down) add spices then chopped toms. Simmer until meat is tender adding peppers and seasoning towards end (when rice is being boiled). Instead of chopped toms, ... yoghurt or stock can be used instead. Great base for a curry and other spices can be added to vary the flavour.