Continuing the Colliery Band Tradition: New Brand, New Website. Backworth Colliery Ba

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by bigcol, Aug 21, 2007.

1. bigcol

bigcol Member

Backworth Colliery Band, the last remaining brass band in the Newcastle area, has formally announced their decision to revert back to their original name.

The band, formed in 1886 in close association with the Backworth Collieries, have been known as Five Rivers Brass from 2000 after a sponsorship deal with the Five Rivers Group, based in Salisbury. Although the sponsorship was only over 12 months, the band decided to continue to wear the name for 7 years until 2007.

The band has now changed their emphasis, now attending more to being part of the local Backworth community. The junior band, now in its 3rd year, was the first project started, and subsequent involvement in local activities made the change of name back to Backworth Colliery Band obvious and logical.

The band has re-launched their website, www.backworthcollieryband.org.uk, to reflect the change of image and to include more detail about the band, its history and its objectives. The website also contains video and imagery from the band past and present.

This summer has seen the start of a number of ambitious projects, from a £24,000 fund-raising project, working with Alan Fernie, strengthening ties with the local council and community and starting a research project into the 120-year history of the band.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Backworth Colliery Band
    Colliery Band Tradition: New Brand
    area
    Backworth Colliery Ba
    Newcastle
  3. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Well done Colin. I'm sure I have more photos you can add from the time when I was principal. Nice to see you doing some exciting contests too.

4. bigcol

bigcol Member

More the merrier Lynda, just mail them to me and I'll add them on © Lynda Brown