Contests in November

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by neiltwist, May 28, 2003.

?

If your band normally does the Mineworkers, will they be looking to do another contest instead?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

Hi, with the withdrawal from the contesting year of the mineworkers, what are the other contests about that time, preferably no lower than nottingham on either side of the country.

the only one I know of is Wilks (formerly Pilks) in St Helens.

also, please do the poll.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    side
    St Helens.
    Contests
    withdrawal
    mineworkers
  3. Stewart

Stewart Member

There's always the wonder that is Malton Brass on Nov 2nd! :roll:

4. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

where's that? and do you know who we have to apply to for entry please?

thanks

5. Stewart

Stewart Member

It's in an odd hall in a town (Malton oddly enough) twenty-ish miles North East of York. I've just checked the website (http://www.yhbba.co.uk) and it's YHBBA member bands only so you might be out of luck (or lucky depending on how you look at it)

--Edit: D'oh! after all that I got the URL wrong :oops:

6. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

There's the WMBBA contest on December 1st (I think), where you pick your own piece to play. Can't be WMBBA bands only as our conductor wants us to go.

7. davidsait

davidsait Member

The WMBBA Annual Contest (own choice) is on Sunday 30th November this year (it's normally on the 1st sunday in December), at the Spa Centre in Royal Leamington Spa.
    It's open to non-WMBBA members, but there are extra prizes for association members. Info is normally sent out in about August I think, and it has been known to be over-subscribed.
    There is one hall, and they zip through all 5 sections in 1 day, starting with the 4th section in the morning. The adjudication is closed.
    For more information contact Greta Russell, WMBBA secretary, 256 Longfellow Road, Coventry, West Midlands, CV2 5HJ, Tel: 024-764-42701.
    Leamington (or 'Leam', as it's known), has an excellent supply of pubs and curry houses. It is also the first contest of the year that the University of Warwick Brass Band take all their new members to!

8. jfenwick

jfenwick Member

isnt there buxtons contest around that sort of time

9. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

no sorry, that's an entertainment contest, the test piece one is at the beginning of may.

10. jfenwick

jfenwick Member

well still I'm sure Buxtons is fun. Are you going to Ripon to watch my fantastic playing

11. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Although it's member bands only, Tredegar Town are a member of the YHBBA, as are Fishburn, so I don't think there is a geographic limit to who is a member band.

Sam

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    side
    St Helens.
    Contests
    withdrawal
    mineworkers
  13. Stewart

Stewart Member

Yep, true, there's nothing stopping anyone paying their money and signing up with the YHBBA.

14. just writing to say that the mineworkers contest is not dead and buried yet!!!!!!!.I have spoke to 2 contest organisers and both are very intrested .its very early doors yet and i can't say to much but fingers crossed there is a 50/50 chance it will still take place althogh things will be changing ie admission,adjudication etc
    NICK HARRIS
    CARLTON MAIN

15. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

exactly, and until we get a phonecall or letter telling us we're not going, then we are!

16. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

Come to Wilks, I'm a steward every year 8)

17. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

There is also going to be the inaugural Scottish Open Championship at the end of November in Glasgow. The line-up is already sorted (and a pretty decent one it is too), but would imagine it will be a great weekend.

Mark

18. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

We are doing LEICESTER CONTEST IN NOVEMBER+MINEWORKERS as well

GRESLEY OLD HALL BAND.:-D

19. Bones

Bones Member

Thought this was in January under the Butlins guise now. Are they looking to pull it back to November, make a lot more sense. Great contest just too close to the areas.

Cheers

Rich

20. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You're right about the dates, the post you quoted was from May 2003 :shock: