Contests; could YOU live without them?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave Payn, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Here's a question for all brass banders, players and conductors, given debates about 'why we enjoy contests' etc. but PERHAPS (he says mischievously) more akin to the 'banding or relationship' thread

How would you feel in the (utterly hypothetical) scenario that all contesting for brass bands ceased for whatever reason? Would you be distraught? Could you move on? Couldn't care less? What?
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

p.s. Out of fairness, I'll reveal my answer. I could (I believe ;-)) move on!
  3. jpbray

jpbray Member

Love them or loath them; contests I think form the life blood of banding and the movement would decline quicker without them. If nothing else it gets people of their backsides with the minimum of effort, without the work of organising concerts.
  4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Interesting comment you make and maybe a topic for another thread. What takes more organising, contests or concerts?
  5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I wouldn't really be all that bothered... I think it would clear the way for bigger and better concerts and music festivals. I never liked contests anyway...
  6. jonford

jonford Member

I enjoy contests. If it's a good piece I really enjoy the challenge of working up a test piece. I also think we would all miss the social side if contests stopped. Contest's are the only time I end up seeing some people due to everyone living in different locations and beeing very busy the rest of the time of the year!
  7. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I admit that I could, without any problems, live sans contests. However, I also believe that contests do motivate bands and individual players to improve their standards of playing.

Even if individuals don't like contests, the fact that their band enters a contest means that, what with extra rehearsals and sectionals, and with a goal to aim for, they will tend - even against great resistance - to improve.

I think that bands should not contest to the exclusion of everything else though. As ever, it's a case of striking the right balance.:)
  8. jpbray

jpbray Member

For my opinion and for what its worth. The healthy band as an active contest season, an adequate diary of summer jobs and at least one annual concert. Contesting, as already been said, also helps the band to gel via various social activities
  9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

OK, for MY opinion and what it's worth (i.e. 10 percent of sod all ;-)), I think a healthy band should have more than one 'indoor' concert (I say 'indoor' because I am, admittedly guessing that's what you mean by annual concert. After all, the more you play to a captive audience, perhaps the less nerve-wracking it gets for some band members come playing in a contest? Maybe?)
  10. jpbray

jpbray Member

Does the ubiquitous Christmas concert count.
  11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well, if it's the SOS Christmas library (think about that one...) probably not, but concentrated concerts with a tricky (but not over ambitious) programme (perhaps including a couple of original works, no matter what section you're in) does, I believe, get players used to playing to potentially nerve--wracking environment and the more of those that can be done, the better, I say.

****** Londonders..... ;-) :)
  12. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Quite simply..... NO!

To me contesting is the best part of playing, the build up, the excitement and all that. Could never knowingly play in a band that wouldn't contest
  13. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Yea I could live without them...
    but I do like a good contest, whether it be as a player, conductor or spectator :)

BBQs are good replacements for contests if it's a nice day ;-) :cool:
  14. mikelyons

What is it with this girl and food! :rolleyes:
  15. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Possibly something to do with her 'pastie'-esque surname, Mike... :) :)
  16. mikelyons

I wasn't going to go down that road. You're braver than I am :)
  17. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I can afford to be. I've had the mickey taken out of my surname more times than even Naomi has had hot dinners! ;-)
  18. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

As the MD of a succesful contest band of course my answer would be of course we can!

For a fair few reasons I have come to the conclusion that contests lead to a host of problems for bands who are unsucsessful and thats the majority.

I really would promote the idea of more concert work which if well supported ( and thats in your own hands ) do enormous good for a band.

I wonder however referring to a previous thread how:-

a) Bands would be ranked? This seems very important to some
    b) Standards would not become poor? Some peoples experiences seem to suggest all non contesting bands were poor

Just a thought

19. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Oops missed a very important word out in the first line there ''NON contesting'' I meant

20. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I would survive without contests, but I'd be willing to guess that I would not practice as much and the level of my playing (and probably whichever band I am in) would decrease.