Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by neiltwist, Jun 22, 2003.

1. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

I'm just sat at home thinking about nothing in particular, when I have a thought:

What are peoples views on contests with regard to which variety they prefer?

I like a good test piece, but then again getting banding to be entertaining is also good.

Thoughts please!
  2. Kari Anson

Kari Anson Member

Entertainment every time for me - I like to be able to really get into a piece and do the whole showmanship thing, not necessarily just confined to the music.
  3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Im not really into contesting, but id do agree with Kari. if there is one type of contest i do enjoy it is entertainment contests
  4. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

I prefer the area type contests, they seem fairer. The only experience I have had with an entertainments contest, when the comments came back it had been judged like a technical contest, so we might as well have played 5 or 6 really easy pieces instead of playing pieces that were challenging but entertaining. I know there are still arguments over results in technical contests but with everybody playing the same piece I think there is a better chance of the result being fair.
  5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I'd far rather put on a concert than play in an entertainment contest! I don't think I've ever played in an entertainment contest where the results have been anything other than largely arbitrary - and if there's no point in the results, why have a contest?

6. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

because its good wholesome fun :p hehez :lol:
  7. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Test pieces are a fairer test but I always enjoy entertainment contests more
  8. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

But why not just have a band music festival? Doesn't Pershore work like this? (Note: I've not been myself) Do we really need the contesting element to attract bands?

9. Mark Bousie

Mark Bousie Member

Test piece, but events like Spennymoor do come as a bit of light relief during the year.

10. Valvecap

Valvecap Member

Just like doing contests full stop.... its a pain when you lose.... but i would imagine its more than made up for when you win (personally wouldnt know having never won a contest with a band) Test piece contests are important and the entertainments prove that we can be competetive and entertaining at the same time...

Thinking about it, entertainments contests are as much of a yardstick as the hardest testpiece - most bands spend there year playing an "entertaining" program anyway. Just cos a band can play really difficult pieces, does not prove they are the best band at entertaining the public / audience (which i think is the idea of all this????)

Worth thinkin about.... Testpieces show who has the best players in a band, entertainments contests possibly show the best "band" as a unit... - whats everyone else think???
  11. Kari Anson

Kari Anson Member

I agree with you here. A band that can play all of the technical details often found in test pieces often bore me rigid as it doesn't entertain me at all. Entertaining the audience is vital, anyone short of a few ideas on how to do this then - visit a Wem Xmas concert, they do it in style!
  12. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

Test pieces are important but from an audience point of view entertainment. I attended and entertainment contest recently, our band was not playing so it was good just to listen and for £2.00 I was entertained by 20 bands and the standard of all the bands were excellent. I really had a good day out and I am sure this is much better for the audience as well.

Keppler: Duplicate Post Deleted
  13. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

I really enjoy taking part in contests whether it is a set test piece or an entertainment contest.

I feel with a set test piece the band is judged on its ability and the results are fair because each band has played the same, and I enjoy listening to the different interpretations of the piece from other bands.
    Also you don't get to pick the soloists an everyone has the chance to shine despite whether they are the best player in the band.

However an entertainment contest brings more variety of music and can be more enjoyable in some aspects.

The band has to perform as a unit in both cases I think and sometimes it's more challenging to do this in a test piece because from my experience unless this happens the piece doesn't quite sound perfect. But thats just my opinion.

Jo 8)
  14. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

From a conductor's perspective I try to achieve a balance between different types of contest since they all test and help to develop different facets of the band's performance.

I particularly enjoy planning programmes for entertainment contests and selecting pieces for own choice contests, and I seem to have been in the wrong place at the wrong time when Nationals pieces were handed out so have had some less then enjoyable works to tackle: Four Fors, Landscapes, Suite for Brass, Tintagel, Cross Patonce, The Undaunted etc. etc. etc. all helped me to fully appreciate Prague... So in terms of enjoyment for band and MD, set pieces can be hit and miss in my experience.

15. Kernewek Den

Kernewek Den Member

I’ve always thought it would be a good idea to have an entertainments contest with set pieces. That way each band would have a chance to show its strength (and weaknesses) in different styles of music and how well they can all ‘perform’ on the same pieces.

Perhaps TMP could start one?
  16. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Now there's an idea . .
  17. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

How about a themed entertainment contest. like pieces from Frank Berhearts or even Edrich Siebert
    God the thought of it :shock:

Roy Taylor
    Chichester band (on probation)
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Mind you, we could always hold it on November 5th.... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  19. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

I'm afraid you may not like Chichester band after all Roy, we are stricly a Siebert/Bernaerts free zone!
  20. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Doh, and I was going to ask if we could play Boston Bounce tonight!