Contesting Bands Playing SA pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by PFmaestro, Jul 20, 2009.

1. PFmaestro

PFmaestro New Member

My band have a concert at the end of the year where we are taking part in a SA charity concert, What SA pieces have you heard the most on a contesting bands programme? Being a salvationist bandsmen i have heard so many that i can't decide on a 2/3!! Just thought i'd put on TMP to see what other bandos have heard or like?

Cheers

2. BariPower

BariPower Member

Corpus Christi by Robert Redhead is a personal favourite - think it was used at the europeans a few years back!

3. andyp

andyp Active Member

St Helen's contest a few years ago had all SA set tests, ours was Eric Ball's "The Kingdom Triumphant".

Have heard "Shine as the Light" (Peter Graham) used as an own choice.

And for a real test, "Contest Music" (Wilfred Heaton)............

4. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

What about Variations on Laudate Dominum? Cracking piece!!!

5. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

But it's not an SA publication.

6. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Some of our biggest sellers over the years have been;
    Goldcrest, Star Lake, Share my Yoke and In Perfect Peace which may be an indication of what SA published pieces have been popular with non-SA bands.

Praise has also been popular.

7. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

I like In Perfect Peace. Our band don't play it at the moment. For me it is probably Ken Downie's best work.

Obvisiously Shine as the Light and Resurgam are great pieces that have crossed over well. You have so much to pick from really. They has got to be something that will suit your concert its a question of the audience your playing to.

If you are think it will be mainly General public with no real apprieciation of brass music in general then a march and/or possibly a hymn tune arrangement would suit. For something fun to re-start after an interval go for Joy, Peace and Happiness by Richard Phillips.

If its a charity concert I would suggest the March Red Shield. Its a classic! and the tittle directly refers to the SA's charity work accross the world.

8. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

It surprises me that more of the classical arrangements/transcriptions published by the SA haven't been more of a "hit". Brian Bowen has arranged some Schubert and Rimsky-Korsakov to excellent effect and then there's Dean Goffin's Themes from the Italian Symphony; Ray Steadman-Allen with Dvorak - Themes from the New World Symphony and Melodies of Dvorak and of course Bramwell Coles Treasures from Tchaikovsky. A lot of great material (and many more besides) that all make great additions to a concert.

9. umchacha56k

umchacha56k Member

Quintessence- Robert Redhead ( spelling? ) was set for the National youth brass band premier section, and in the past bands have played pieces like shine as the light and renaissance ( Peter Graham) as their own choice quite often!

10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Victorian Snapshots On A Ratcliffe Highway:Ray Steadman Allen
    Variations On Maccabeus;Kevin Norbury

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Contesting Bands Playing SA
    band
    concert
    bandsmen
    most
  12. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Resurgam is not a cross-over. It was originally written for a contest and then Eric Ball donated his rights to the SA.

13. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

Well, its crossed over from Contesting to the SA in the same way Shine as the Light went the other way (A bit like rugby players I suppose). I will admit, you are correct in your point that it is not originally and SA piece. But now many SA bands see it as much as their own as contesting Bands do. Hence it being the feature of the Black Dyke and isb joint concert for Eric Ball.

But I'm sure we can agree it great music!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  14. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

True!

(The only reason that I pointed out that it's not a cross-over is that the topic of the thread is SA pieces being played by contesting bands, not the other way round.)

A couple that I think would be interesting are:

Daystar (Redhead)
    The Lord Is King (Steadman-Allen)

And Dorothy Gates, the resident composer for the New York Staff Band, has just finished a new large work entitled Hope that's going to be played a lot. Watch for that one in the next couple of years.

15. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

I will keep my ears open for Hope. I am sure I will hear it soon.

I think Ian Perks' Suggestion of Ratcliffe Highway is a blinder! It makes also the right sort of references if you want to pay tribute to the SA as part of the concert. If you are looking for a major sort of work.

I'd like to hear some SA Oldie classics tried by Contesting bands. Just as I am, Light of the World spring to mind. Symphony of Thanksgiving might be worth a try?( Just thinging out loud)

16. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Symphony of Thanksgiving would be great on a contesting band programme. Goffin always considered it a "companion" to Rhapsody in Brass, which was written as a test piece.

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I have always thought of "My strength, my tower" being the companion to "Rhapsody in brass", although I agree that "Symphony of thanksgiving" would go down well.

Several SA works have been featured in "Brass in Concert" programmes, either in full or in part, including Kenneth Downie's "King of heaven", Dean Jones's "Glorifico Aeterum" and Steven Ponsford's "Turris fortissima".

Eric Ball's "Song of courage" has been played fairly often, although it takes a good band to really bring it to life.

Another shorter gem that has proved popular is Len Ballantine's "I know thou art mine".

18. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Daystar is by Steadman-Allen

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've always thought William Gordon's Assurance Variations might go down well with audiences and players alike. Quite a cheerful piece of music.

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

No-one has mentioned the works of Stephen Bulla yet! Another gifted SA composer.

21. yoooff

yoooff Member

I remember hearing a band do an entirely Wilf Heaton programme at an entertainment contest (Fife?) a few years ago - can't remember the specific year, but it was the one where Wilf Heatons numbers were all the rage in the championship section, so presumably to capitalise on this their programme was Praise, Victory for Me, and Toccata. May not have been particularly entertaining for some but super writing!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Contesting Bands Playing SA
    band
    concert
    bandsmen
    most