Contesting against an old band.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Matt Lawson, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

I will be contesting against an old band at Malton Contest this year and just realised, if we win or they win, I'll still feel quite happy, so there's less chance of being disappointed... which is nice.

There iwll be a friendly rivalry which is great. I will certainly watch them if I get chance and I'd hope they'll watch me if the chance crops up.

Anyone else have any feelings about what it's like to be contesting against an old band?

Anyone ever felt really bad about it, or do you think it's good fun?
  2. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

In my (mumble mumble) years of contesting, I've played with a band or three, and have also guested with others.

If my band is beaten by one of my other bands, I'm dischuffed - but pleased for them. (Would rather beat 'em, though......;) )
  3. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I hate playing against old bands.....never know whether to be pleased if we beat them or slightly embarrassed for them.....

I don't do being competitive very well!

Rach x
  4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

One band who i played for (I will not say )

I had the dirty done across me by a certain person within that band.
    So when i used to play against them i hoped we beat them we did once , but the hatred i have got towards that band even after a few years have gone under the bridge you would not belive :mad: :ranting2: :hammer :evil:
  5. magpiesolobari

magpiesolobari New Member

The band who sacked me the day after the areas (in which we did extremely well), telling me i was not good enough to sit in the seat, have just got their backsides spanked at the finals.

What a great feeling!!!!!!!!!!

I have since found myself with numerous offers from bands and I cannot wait to contest against them next year. Bring it on

I don't think i could ever forgive them.
  6. horn__blower

horn__blower Member

i once played in a contest where an old conductor of mine from long time before was playing with a different band. i didnt know he was going to be there, but saw him playing. the fact that we beat his band TOTALLY made up for my disappointment that we didnt do very well that day! yay!! :)
  7. The Baron

The Baron New Member

I have just seen the results from Harrogate and am dissappointed for my old band as they have clearly improved since their change in personnel.
    Having left after the area's this year to make way for better players, i had hoped some silverware would be coming back to the midlands.
    I'm sure certain members are enjoying being spanked and wish them all the best for the future.
  8. stopher

stopher Member

The first band I played for I now conduct so am pretty glad when they do well.

2nd band - Don't care!!!! Never likely to be against them ever again!Was relieved to leave after falling out with a player and her friends!

3rd band - Sad that I had to leave them as I was moving back home after Uni - were a brilliant bunch and still have a good laugh with the players when I see them in contests.

4th band - Left them for a bit but am now back there playing so am glad when they do well.

5th band - the less people know that I played for this band the better!!!! Joined for the wrong reasons and got mislead by one person. Don;t get me wrong - there are a lot of people in that band who I still get on with - just that there was only one person in that band that I now can't stand at all!!!!Any opportunity to compete against them is ALWAYS a pleasure!

I'm not mentioning names of bands or people but must admit, I think at the time, i made the right move for me going to each band but quickly found out if my face fitted or not and got out sharpish if it didn't!
  9. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

I think it's good playing against old bands, my first band, Golborne, have competed against Flixton enough times and they still come in the hall and cheer me on!
    I think it's good for the player to see how the old band has progressed and for the band to see how the player's progressed. As long as the player's moving in the right direction I don't see a problem with it.