Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Well Worth It, May 10, 2004.

Why do we enjoy contests?

1. Judging the improvement of your band.

2. Trying to prove your dominance over the rest.

3. Get's me out of the wife's/hubby's reach for the day.

4. Just seeing old pals.

5. Hate contests.

6. Beer.

1. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Why is it that we enjoy contests?
    What is your fave aspect?
  2. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I love contesting, I think it give the band something to aim for and gives you the chance to gauge how much you have improved etc.

I also love the social aspect of a contest, it brings the band together and also gives people the chance to catch up with old friends.
  3. Well Worth It

I agree. With the day and age of changing technology, phone #'s get lost easily and contests are great places to update your records.
    Seeing old faces keeps you young too.
  4. Heather

Heather Member

:lol: looking at your avatar its not kept you looking too
  5. Well Worth It

You'd better be aware that dur to your horrific insult, Rob Richardson has been instructed to deafen as required.
  6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I just like to beat people... I'm shallow like that... :oops:
  7. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

Its something to work up to and on the day there is an air of excitement mixed with nerves and tension, and then there is the mass drinking session afterwards!
  8. jpbray

jpbray Member

Cheesy but true. 8)
  9. BFN

BFN Member

Hmm, the reason why I think contests are great and the reason why I enjoy them are two entirely different things: They serve as encouragement (for whatever) for loads of musicians to play when they perhaps otherwise wouldn't have a chance. The very nature of competetiob means that (theoretically) standards ill always improve, and the BEST live performances are the contest-winning ones.

I, on the other hand, go on the misaprehension my band might win!
  10. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

Our drummer is a spitting image of Animal - and yes he is a bit mad! :shock:
  11. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Just call me Monsieur Camembert!
  12. All about Beer and the A grade own choice
  13. Spanky Rear

Spanky Rear Member

We love them because;-
    We love rising at an unearthly hour to get to the Contest on time
    We love predicting [probably wrongly] the position we'll come.
    We love spending <100 hours on a piece of music we may dislike only to be told by a blind and deaf old man [why no women?] that we have been wasting our time.
    We love the drunken and boorish behaviour at Contests.
    We love<18 hour days with the insertion of 15 or 30 minutes of stress/anxiety/hell[as appropriate] at a random point.
    We love the antagonism/bickering/jealousy[any two from three?] following the results.
    We love conductors being told publicly that they don't know what they're doing.
    We love not being mentioned at all[as individuals] in the adjudicator's comments because we can then criticise with impunity.
    ....... and so on ad infinitum.
  14. jpbray

jpbray Member

OK!! Bert. :p :p
  15. Steve

Steve Active Member

The level of playing is almost always at its highest just before a contest so rehearsals are more personally gratifying. It is also something to aim for and the sense of pride having come of stage having given your very best is unbeatable. I just like winning things really. :roll:
  16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Re: Contests

Yep!! That's pretty much it, but now there's the added bonus of trying to seek out as many competing tMPers as you can find. It's like a game now, trying to work out which ones you all are!!
  17. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

after spending weeks, no hang on MONTHS slogging on only two pieces of music for the areas and the grand shield respectively, it occurred to me we spend half a year doing this and im utterly sick of it!! :x

i began playing because i love making music and it gets sooooo depressing when spending EVERY rehearsal for MONTHS rehearsing the same piece. its driving me nuts :hammer

i like contests but not to the detriment of existing as a band which should be there to entertain first and foremost!!!

i want to PLAY MUSIC!!
  18. jambo

jambo Member

In a nutshell.
    Putting a performance down and basically saying, "follow that!"
    Winning when it comes your way, and of course, the inevitable crack in the bar what ever the result.
  19. Well Worth It

I think it would be benefical to the entire banding movement that we don't see your crack at the bar anymore J, if that's ok with you!!
  20. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I enjoy contests, because it allows me to put myself as well as the band that i'm in under pressure, and allows us to gauge how much we have improved.
    I also like the atmosphere that's created on results, and the way in which bands go mad when they do well! Shows how much of a team effort banding really is.
    I have to say that I hate rubbish results for my band, but don't we all...!