Contest Virgin (nearly)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Cantonian, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

In 1971 at the age of 14 I played in my first contest for the Cardiff Schools brass band (We played Indian Summer).
    Today I played in my second contest at Porthcawl. I have played at the Royal Albert Hall, St David's Hall and Millenium centre(Cardiff) and other major halls in Europe with Canton Salvation Army band and other SA ensembles. I don't think I have ever been so nervous as today playing with Parc and Dare. It was probably the thought that a couple of split notes could mean the difference between us and the next band.

Anyway in spite of the disappointing result I thought I played OK.......now to Journey to the Centre of the Earth (and hopefully less nerves)!

2. Steve

Steve Active Member

Wow, thats some gap between contests Mike. Reassuringly you last contested 11 years before I was born so I hope that fills you with youthfull inspiration for the area.

And yes, the nerves get easier to cope with. Just.

3. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Congratulations Mike!

I know what you mean - I do worry that a mistake on my part could lose the contest and let everyone else in the band down. Just try and be as relaxed and calm as possible before you go on stage (not that I'm a contest veteran - I've been with Flixton Band since November 2003, and my last contest before that was in 1980). The nerves don't go away, but they get better.

Anyway, I hope that you enjoyed it, in spite of the nerves.

4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Always remember there will be some one more nervous than you there on the day of the contest;)

5. alanianmann

alanianmann New Member

The best piece of advice for any contest is that if you make a mistake it is not the end of the world.Everyone is human (I think) after all so just make the next note you play the best note you ever played after the mistake and you will do all right

6. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Don't you believe it!!! Playing flugel for Ammanford today at 68 years of age I just about held it together! What with blood pressure tablets, a quad bypass four years ago and a bottom G to start my entry into A Nightingale Sang in Berkely Square my mouth was like two pieces of cardboard by the time we finished!! And that's after drinking nearly a litre of water on stage. I don't have this problem when playing in a big band and I never had it years ago. Why do I do it? I must be nuts!!

7. flugelboy

flugelboy Member

the best piece of advice a was ever given for a contest was that u shud just think of a concert performance as a band hall performance.that always managed to relax me!!