Contest Sabotage

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Mesmerist, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Why would she even know? She doesn't work for BBP, she's the Regional contest organiser - and all they get for registrations on the day is a list of who is registered with the band *now*.

Ianroberts likes this.
  2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

For me the questions are why don't the BBP registry have a system in place to double-check with bands when they get Change of Secretary requests; and why do they cancel registrations without receiving the actual cards? Either or both of those steps would have stopped this sabotage attempt in its tracks way before the contest day.

Mesmerist likes this.
  3. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

No, I have not been involved in running a Brass Band contest (holds up hands and apologies for having an opinion) although I have done the job of contest secretary. My observation comes from experience that most bands use up the full quota of players allowed and wouldn't rush to de-register players unless the spaces were needed. See where I am coming from? No way am I suggesting Peggy (or anyone else apart from the mystery emailer) is responsible.

Slider1 likes this.
  4. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

To be honest, no I don't. Its an angle that doesn't need questioning at all IMO. We all know how busy things are between the registry and Bands at this time of year and I would not expect the registry to question this request from any band.

5. Mesmerist

Fair enough but an email without the players cards? And is the conductor usually the Contest Secretary? Like I said, I'm not accusing anyone, I just wondered if in passing the person de-registering players thought it strange. No harm meant to them, I know they are busy.

6. Ianroberts

Again you put more questions ! are you really Miss Marple, Cagney, Lacey, or even Nancy Drew ? Should the registry and its staff question whether it is right for a conductor to be contest secretary ? or do they just do what has been officially requested and not hold / slow things up ?

Maybe it was you that sent the email and all these questions are just a cover ? I'm not accusing anyone, I'm just curious !

LynneW likes this.
  7. Mesmerist

It was me Guv! And I would have got away with it if it wasn't for those pesky kids...:D

8. Ianroberts

Dont mess with Scooby Roberts !
    :D:D:D

Mesmerist likes this.
  9. Mesmerist

10. tallyman

tallyman Member

How are the fraud squad getting on ?? Let this be a lesson to you all, don't send prank emails or the fraud squad will buy another packet of Jammy Dodges!

11. himan

himan New Member

Unfortunately I can't say too much about where the investigation but it is being taken seriously by West Yorkshire Police.
    Andrew Whitaker
    Lofthouse Brass Band

andybass likes this.
  12. Ianroberts

Glad to hear it

13. Mesmerist

Is it up to you how far this investigation goes? I mean once you know who the culprit(s) is can you decide to drop the charges?

(I'm not saying you should, I just wondered if it was your choice in the end)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  14. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

I'm hopeful that the WYP will have the time and resources to find the offender and then that, if it is in the public interest, some prosecution will follow. Maybe that's a bit of a hard stance but to my mind Lofthouse members will have invested considerable time, band funds and effort in the contest so to have them taken from them is theft (or at best attempted theft). If someone gets taken to Court, tried and convicted then let the Courts decide what is an appropriate penalty for the guilty party - surely that's why we have Judges and no doubt he/she/they will consider 'social factors' and systemic features in the registration system that failed to stop what may or may not have been a prank.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016