Contest Rituals

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by welshraz, Mar 13, 2006.

1. welshraz

welshraz Member

I am just wondering if anyone has any little rituals they do for luck before a contest? Or maybe you have something you always wear or take with you for luck?

I always dye my hair before a contest (we have had great results since I started doing it) and one of the other players in the band always wears her lucky pink knickers ( I mention no names).
  2. Steve

Steve Active Member

Always wear black pants. Just incase!
  3. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Not a ritual- but has anyone noticed that when you're in that room waiting to go on, the band already on the stage ALWAYS sounds as if they're Black Dyke!!!!!??
  4. After yesterday Rainford have a new ritual, a mexican wave in that waiting room (had to wake one or too up to get it to go round though).
  5. hunting_high

hunting_high Member

LOL. Good one.
  6. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Got a pair of brown ones myself, just incase the adrenelin flows a little too freely!
  7. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Always take your Mouthpiece on stage for luck.

Always. ;-)
  8. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

OK Time to 'fess up on our superstition!

Our band have a policy that all males members of the band 'go commando' on stage for contests!:oops:

We also have an official 'Knicker Checker' in the band who is responsible for checking such rules are strictly adhered to. Obviously this is a much sought after position in the band and is always filled by the 'most senior' (oldest) female member of the band on stage.

Mary - our 2nd Horn player - has considered retiring on many an occassion, but always wants to 'just do one more contest'!

We have considered bringing in a similar rule for female players under 'sex equality' legislation, however the ladies have threatened to walk out should we be a little too enthusiastic about conformance and the checking thereof!

Perhaps a few days before our appearance at the regionals is the wrong time to share this - although a good time to ask for warmer seats.

Mary is the lady with the big smile on her face, please give her a big cheer when she takes the stage!:clap:
  9. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

10. welshraz

welshraz Member

Where are you and are you looking for a soprano player?!? ;) That would be such a waste in our band...there are no good looking men! :(
  11. gawber

gawber Active Member

Or in the case of Old Silkstone-the band already on stage sounded like SELLERS and the band immediately after Silkstone had played sounded like BLACK DYKE!
  12. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Always go to the all you can eat for a fiver curry house for sat breakfast , and sat night always visit Steak by Night , by the dragon hotel in swansea for a nice slab of steak...yum
  13. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

Always on the look out if you know what I mean!:hi

We are in the Foest of Dean - where men are men and sheep are frightened (or just visiting from Wales)!:dunno
  14. Key2207

Key2207 Member

I usually wear my lucky pink knickers on a contest but yesterday I forgot lol! may explain why we came 18th :rolleyes:

I always seem to drink coke on the way to a contest as well.

Oh and you'll always find me in the bar after we've played (or before in yesterdays case :p )
  15. rebecca

rebecca Member

I have a lucky pair of socks that I wear for every contest but they don't really bring much luck. I was once told not to eat bacon on the morning of a contest!
  16. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

well i had a bacon buttie before i set off yesterday morning, and it did me proud :tongue: tehe
  17. rebecca

rebecca Member

yeah well i never really took much notice! I'm not really one for eating a lot, if anything, before going on stage to be honest!
  18. The other son

The other son Member

:tongue: Nope, not for us at the nationals last year...

.....cos we knew black dyke followed us on :frown: :eek:
  19. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

PCD is an ancient legend at Smithills that Bass players par take in before we go back stage!!!!!!
  20. ju33les

ju33les Member

I have a very lonely tic-tac in it's container sitting in my right trouser pocket for every contest (well since Pontins). Not done us much harm.......wouldn't want to eat it though after it being in there so long:-?