Contest Mergers

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassneck, Aug 9, 2006.

Could temporary band mergers benefit contesting?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
  2. No

8 vote(s)
  3. Undecided

3 vote(s)
  1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

When we hear of bands having to use deps or withdraw from contests because of unavailable players, is it possible that a new rule can be drawn up for bands to temporarily merge to form a band that could contest and satisfy players who want to do that? This way, bands could keep their identities for concert and promotional work but enjoy the atmosphere of competing as well.

How much of a range between sections could merge and what section would this 'band' be allowed to compete in? I would assume that area qualifiers and major competitions would naturally be excluded but maybe could encourage better attendance for local events.

What's your thoughts on this?
  2. postie

postie Member

Interesting idea not sure whether it would actually work. Obvioulsly bands that go to Whit Friday sometimes link together to become one band for the day.
  3. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Surely it can already be done.

If 2 bands feel that between them they can put together a 'contest band' they simply form the new band, register the players and away they go !
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I'm looking at the situation where bands normally contest but cannot because of recent upheavals or just bad timing or organisation. Bands that merge officially into a contesting unit (using registration) leave the remnants as non-contesting ones.
  5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I don't see why not. Similar rules as for borrowed players, so if a 2nd section and 4th section band combined they would have to compete in the 2nd section. Prize money could be shared equally between the combining bands. Registration could be kept easy by insisting that all the players on stage are registered members of one of the two combining bands - no additional "borrowing" from other bands.

It would probably suit contests with less rigid rules like the march contests, and local association contests - also maybe Hardraw Scar etc.? Wouldn't be practical for things like Pontins I suspect though.
  6. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

Sounds completely unworkable to me. Must be easier to allow deps for "lesser" contests. If two bands based near each other want to come to an arrangement between themselves then fine, but why do we want more rules over who can and can't play for which band?
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

This has happened in our area, with Enfield Motor Museum & Potters Bar Contest Band operating as one entity for contests, whilst continuing to carry out separate concert engagements.
  8. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Its a great idea in theory, and I love that so many bands are willing to help each other out, but to formalise a merger (even 'just' for contesting) there's so many worms in the can....
    What do you do with the surplus players? who decides who goes on stage? is it by ability or to keep a balance number from each band? What do you call yourselves? Which conductor? Which principals? Who's rehearsal nights/venue? what happens when one band has a gig in the middle of contest prep? Who pays?

ok, maybe I'm being a bit glass-is-half-empty!! but if the bands are serious about contesting AND concert work I think they may as well just merge properly.
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There could be a situation when one band doesn't want to compete but another does but cannot due to too many players being unavailable. The two bands can form a temp. merger and provide an extra number to the participents. This surely is better than nothing at all?