Contest Medical Conditions

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by frisp, Mar 14, 2003.

1. frisp

frisp Member

I was recently discussing this with The Judge and we were wondering if other bands have unique medical conditions associated with contesting.

Manx Concert Ass aka Band Trip Ass afflicts 90% of our band every time we compete.

Symptoms include numerous trips to the bog, occasional vomiting and the inability to talk anything but complete garbage from half an hour after you've played.

Is this an offshore syndrome?

Do other bands suffer differently for their art?

Is there a doctor in the house who can advise us?
  2. HBB

HBB Active Member

Yea, we suffer from it too ...... usually followed by untuneful singing (surprising for a group of MUSIC players) and total c**p being spoken.

But I'm sure you prof. bands aren't like that :p:p:D:D:D

Ben ;)
  3. one_careful_owner

one_careful_owner New Member

I can't really help you with this one.

I can never remember anything in the hours/days following a contest.

Must be amnesia I get..... :wink:
  4. Heather

Heather Member

I definately have a lack of appetite from the moment I wake up on contest day until I've played.
    After that I have the most immense hunger ever.
  5. The Judge

The Judge Member

Listen Frisp, you know as well as I do that your inability to talk anything but complete garbage isn't limited to such fine criteria as half an hour after you've played.
  6. Fishsta

Fishsta Active Member

The only thing I hope for on contest day is that my nerves kick in.

When the nerves kick in, every problem that has afflicted me in rehearsals like tuning, split notes, shortage of breath in sustained notes and/or "dying lip" syndrome just seem to disappear.

Of course, things can still go wrong.... :roll:
  7. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Well suffering in our band has led to some extreme cases from the same family..

My brother played in a quartet competition with a temperature of 105.. He told us that he felt "a bit sick", but played the best he ever had.. He was probably delerious or something..I wouldn't recommend that.

I've played a contest while getting periodic electric shocks from a disloged pacemaker lead.. I wouldn't recommend that one either..

Odd thing is, in both cases, we won the respective contests - even if hospital spells were required afterward...

(Remember kids, don't try this at home)
  8. frisp

frisp Member

Bet that was a huge amount of fun.....were the electric shocks in time with the music?? (No offence intended here, I can't imagine how that would be)

Thanks, m'lud-pick on the immigrant again :shock:

aah, true sufferer although the untuneful bit is a slight difference :D
  9. picju96

picju96 Member

I have an immense craving for the most greasy fry up around on the morning after a contest. Anyone else?
  10. Keppler

Emm, the music changed time signatures every bar and a half or so, so was hard to say....
  11. Wonky_Baton

Wonky_Baton Active Member

Fast tempos for me. Only cure constant monitoring of metronome. Cause also might be a rush to get to the bar !! :p
  12. Raspberry

Raspberry Member

When I used to contest it used to be a few drinks followed by staggering to the Chinese and getting a takeaway. You realise how hungry you are after not eating much all day!

I don't do that kind of thing now - I'm too sensible. :wink:
  13. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member hour til the bus goes and I'm suffering on two counts...

Other half results nerves - just caused myself an extremely nasty mascara injury due to shaking hands waiting to see how ABEYB did!!!

I'm shaking like a leaf and my mouth is as dry as the Sahara....HELP!

Rach x
  14. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

Hope everything went okay for you to day Cornetgirl and that your band played well. :lol:
  15. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Thanks floral_dance!

We came 6th - a great result for our first year in the top flight and we played well - a few slips but one of our best performances. We also took some good scalps (including my old band!) so I'm a happy lady! I wasn't that nervous by the time I got on stage, although I think my raw aggression scared the rest of the band!

Rach x
  16. rutty

rutty Active Member

Your pacemaker or someone elses? :?
  17. Keppler

someone else's would be a rare feat
    *visions of someone shooting lightning bolts from 20 feet*
  18. rutty

rutty Active Member

That would depend what you're up to on stage :wink:

You're very young for a pacemaker aren't you :?
  19. Keppler

are you disputing my age Dave?
    Perhaps I am, but that's the way it goes..