Contest Formats

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by LeadFingers, Jul 26, 2004.

1. LeadFingers

LeadFingers New Member

I had an idea put to me the other day regarding possible formats for contests, in the light of falling attendances, and I wondered what people on tMP might think of it...

Suppose a contest was advertised, for brass ensembles ( 4 to 15 players)... NO band affiliation required, open to ANY brass players... Rules to be kept to a minimum... More of a music festival format than a band contest format, e.g. well-known (in the brass music world generally) adjudicator(s), more concentration on comments and kudos than on prizes....

The question that was put to me was: would this appeal to brass band players? I specifically say "players" rather than "bands", because it wouldn't necessarily require any commitment from bands as such, but more from individual players.

Do you think this could fly?

Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post.
  2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I'd be up for that. Great idea. But for that reason, it'll never catch on.....
  3. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Can you imagine it... 15 players all from different bands playing together at a contest! what WOULD their MD's say! :shock:

:D seriously though it does sound like a crackin idea. You could get some superb ensembles cause you could effectivley pick from the end seats of all the top bands in the area. However getting them together would be another matter!

Dave if you ever think about doing this ... give me a bell! (I'm sure the missus would let me out one more time! :D).
  4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Don't bet against it! The idea is that about a year after I move to Arran, the local village hall, with their recently acquired Lottery grant, is to be revamped with dormitories and beds as well as plenty of space for musical performance. It also happens to be across the road from the local pub cum hotel.....

Both Samantha (Frenchie) and myself are working out the feasibilities (and approaching bands with the provisional idea of) of having bands/players come for no-pressure long-weekend, fun brass courses or festivals or just concert trips, whatever. It won't be of the standard of the annual Brass Band Summer School (obvious clue: I'll be running them!) but it'll be fun!

Like I said, don't bet against it....