Contest Deps

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Keppler, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

As a general question, what are the rules regarding deps at contests in the UK, or do they vary from organiser to organiser?
    Also, are there limitations on professionals at contests whether they are genuine members of a band, or draftees?

Tis a question I've been meaning to ask for some time, and I'd appreciate any info ye can supply..

2. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

There's no simple answer to this question Neal!

For the Nationals no borrowed players are allowed; in the event of illness you can borrow the appropriate player from the band preceding you in the draw, providing you have a medical certificate.

For other contests the organisers will stipulate their own rules according to how strict they want to be. As a generalisation, they might normally allow between 2-4 borrowed players, usually from the same section as your own band or below...

3. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

I might have made it up, but i think I heard a story about one band borrowing 10players for a contest. But it might have been a concert though, im not really sure! I'll find out though, but i think if i was a contest, it's surely unfair?!

Yesterday though, there were 3of us depping at Rhyl for one band, so i assume the maximum is 5.
  4. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

alright - assuming one can only use "registered" players then..

what are the general rules regarding who is eligible to be registered? I suppose I'm getting at the "professional question" from some odd angle.

Hypothetically, could I ring up Wynton Marsalis, slap his photo on a registration card and bring him to Contesto Magnifico? Or do rules limiting involvement of professional players exist? Are they allowed at all? If so, how many? What constitues a "professional player"?

Squillions of questions, but am curious, and trying to form an opinion.
  5. Bones

Bones Member

In theory, yes you can. Assuming Wynton Marsalis would do it.

What is the difference between a freelance trumpeter and the players of former colliery bands that received a wage for being on the Band Team. I know some guys did actually go down the mine, but I suspect some didn't. Does that rule make them professional.

Also lets not forget, Andy Berryman to my knowledge played with Beaumaris one year at the Nationals. Please excuse me if this is incorrect. Andy is a professional surely.

So to answer your question of you wanted to go and sign a load of prof. players for a contest you could within the realms of the rules I'm sure.

6. Colin K

Colin K Member

There was a rule change some years ago that allowed music "proffessionals" to play in contests as long as the majority of their income was not from playing. This may have now changed but it seemed a pretty unworkable rule at the time!
  7. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

I used to play professionally myself. I know lots of others who make a living playing and also contest (In fact I think that is par for the course for top bands). As you say it is unworkable.
  8. Colin K

Colin K Member

A problem with a proffessional on the end chair that I encountered in a band that I used to play in was the fact that if a "paying" job turned up the band came second.
  9. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

There is no ban on professionals. You're right, the old rules (and this goes back some ten years or so now) were unworkable. Most associations require borrowed players to be registered; some specify that they musit be registered with bands in membership of the same association.

10. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

This problem is overcome by top bands paying fees & retainers to make sure the player puts that band first. I'm not saying that's right but it is what happens.

I think we have to accept the fact that there is such a thing as professional bandsmen (baker, hudson, morrison, etc) - if you are lucky enough to know someone like this and can get them to play in your band then I say go for it - if you don't someone else will and if you can get them to do it for a couple of beers so much the better :)
  11. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Some of this is also about attitude - I have worked with many amatuers who are very professional both in standard and approach and conversely, pro's who aren't worth the money they are being paid.

At the end of the day, there are people in the movement for whom this is the way they pay their mortgage and that's fine with me.
    With the number of contests who have adopted day transfer systems, coupled with the regular movement immediately prior to the regionals of lots of players, one could ask what constitutes the membership of a band anyway?

Is it:

The band on the bandstand, full of deps as we're short anyway and people are on holiday?

The band on the contest stage including the max. number of day transfers?

The band who played at the last contest (different from the one on this contest and often, different at the next)?

Personally, I don't check the list of players at an LSO gig to make sure they are all members, I simply sit back and enjoy the performance.
    Maybe if we did more of that in the band movement and worred less about rules and regulations then perhaps we might entice some new people in and some former ones to return.
  12. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

13. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Yes Andy Berryman is still signed with the Beaumaris Band , I dont see the problem why Andy should be signed ( he played at the 2002 area and Grand Shield with us ). he played with YBS at the 1995 British Open , and has played with other bands .
  14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've just been reading some interesting discussion on Smartgroups - TubaEuph regarding the NABBA championships, with accusations that professionals had been brought in and long-time players told they were not playing. Also, their rules on professionalism do seem to discount several categories of player, including those from the elite military bands, in the way that the UK rules do not.
  15. Dave1

Dave1 Member

In Scotland - and I'm not sure if this is for all contests (except the area of course) - you can borrow upto 4 players. 2 from sections above and 2 from the same or below.
    This to me is a great system that allows bands who are struggling with one or two seats to still attend contests and have a go. I know we use it a lot just now but it means that we can at least still attend. And, with allowing up to 2 from sections above you still do not "spoil" the band with almost replacing a full section.
  16. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Same with SCABA, good idea if you ask me, it means if we need a dep at short notice (as we have done recently) it gives us a bit more help.
  17. Is this only for 4th section bands? Down here I think 4th section bands can borrow 4 players, up to 2 from the third section and the rest from 4th section.
    Anyone know if that's right for definate?
  18. wewizrobbed

wewizrobbed Member

I'm sure in Scotland it's any section, not just the fourth.