Contest debuts

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, Mar 2, 2005.

1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Who is maoking there contest debut this year?

My brother (Bass Trombone Fulbourne & Teversham) and my son (Soprano Cornet with Chalgrove) are both playing in their first contest on 20th March at Stevenage.

I'm sure at least one of them will know all about contesting and 'being robbed' by the end of the day !

2. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Im making my Championship section debut but thats not really the same i spose. Benn at contests for ages

3. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

This is my first contesting season with a brass band. My first contest was a bit of a baptism by fire - played off first draw and was the soloist! Everything is easy after that!

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

This is my first "Area" contest...

5. DublinBass

Still something to get excited about!!

6. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Our new conductor, Howard Ward is making his contest debut at our Nationals at Easter. It's going to be a baptism of fire as we are the defending champs!!!!!!

7. ray_ed

ray_ed Member

We had a great young lady playing in her first area contest.she did really well and had a great time.and what a result for her first contest....all full on looking forward to the nationals. Dearham ... Band no9...third section winners.

Congrats to Caz . keep yer lip in for October !! :clap: :clap:

8. Terrible Timp

Terrible Timp Member

Yep

I will be making my major Brass Band debut at St George's Hall, Bradford with Emley Brass on Timps

9. Neil the Bass

Neil the Bass New Member

area debutants - percussion brothers !

We have two young percussionist's making their area contest debut's - they are brothers, and one of them can hardly see over the timps !

He might be small, but he can't half whack those drums. :D

10. NAS

NAS Member

Im making my London and Southern counties debut (as Ive always played in the NW) with Stonesfield:-D.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    debut
    contest
    Stevenage.
    one
    Contest debuts
  12. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Its my first area contest too! but I have played in two other contests so shouldn't be too bad!

13. DublinBass

I'm guessing lots of percussionist will be making their debut (what with Rienzi requiring 5-7). One of ours is making there brass band debut for areas too!!

14. HBB

HBB Active Member

I'll be making my Solo Horn at the Areas Debut :oops:

15. Di

Di Active Member

Hadn't really thought about it, since I've been to all the contests with Vic, but this will be the first one I've played in since the area in 1999. :p

16. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Think I saw you do that - if you're talking about the Brass-In-Bloom contest. Must say you handled the pressure quite well if that was your first contest and solo. Even more remarkable, because if I remember correctly Bestwood fluffed the first couple of bars of the first piece (or was it the national anthem?) - hardly the best way to settle your nerves.
    I'm sure you'll be a really strong contender if you are doing it again this year.

17. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

we're doing it with 3 :p
    there may be lots of parts but percussionists have more than one hand for a reason...

(lifting timps with 1 hand is tricky)

18. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Is Big William playing??

This is my first Area on Solo Horn in top section... Wish I had loads more solo's though :-?

19. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

I'm making my debut at torquay next saturday on cornet with Portishead Town Band!

20. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

most of Saltash band, will be doing their first contest. theres only about 10 of us who have contested before.

21. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

Big Willie is indeed doing it, as far as i know, He told me on friday at the pav, To start with he was going to do the rehursals next week and the contest on sunday, till i reminded him that his area was actually THIS sunday!!!
    Must be the knock to the pelvis!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    debut
    contest
    Stevenage.
    one
    Contest debuts