Contest Cancelled

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Roger Thorne, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Just spotted this on BBW

The Yorkshire & Humberside Brass Band Association has cancelled their annual contest for the first time in its 45-year history due to a lack of entries.

Only nine bands had applied to compete in the contest which was due to be held on May 18th, 2003 and association secretary/contest controller Dennis Hill said the event was not viable this year. "This is the first cancellation in 45 years of existence and begs the question why? Can bands no longer afford to travel? Is it wrongly sited? Is the date wrong? We wish we knew!"

Dennis apologised for the inconvenience placed upon entered bands, the venue provider and the adjudicator. "Let us hope that we can sort it out before 2004."

2. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

This is a great shame - there are few enough contests in this region without losing this, which was once a very good contest.

I've conducted at the Annual every year until last, when we discovered that we were the only band entered in our section; this year would have been the same.

Bands will only go in any number if they can be assured (a) a good level of competition and/or (b) good prize money. Unfortunately the YHBBA contest currently offers neither, and no amount of committment on the organisers' behalf or good organisation is going to make bands enter a contest if there's really nothing to gain.

D

3. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

David, surely it should be fashion enigma?

Anyway, I digress. Having conducted Ebor Brass at the YHBBA last year, I do think that the venue is a little out of the way for the bands coming from the north end of the association (like York!). Also, I'm not convinced that holding a brass band contest in a school is the best idea.

I can remember playing in the contest when it was held at Scarborough (with a certain D Lancaster playing top man?), which seemed to be a better venue for contesting. There was an en-suite bar, so the bandsmen where kept entertained and well-oiled.

Perhaps the YHBBA should reconsider where they hold their annual contest (again) in an attempt to get the bands back? Then again, is this endemic of the banding movement at the moment.

Sam

4. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Absolutely agree with Sam. (See you tonight)
    We were one of the last bands on last year (Pre-drawn) and when we arrived found no trade stands (if there had been any?) no food available and, worst of all, THE BAR WAS SHUT!. The toilet facilities were disgusting too. Compare this with the facilities at Scarborough and further back in Tadcaster or York (yes I am that old) and there is no wonder bands don't want to go. The YHBBA needs to have a complete rethink about venues as this contest, in the past, has been most enjoyable and one of the few March, Hymn and Selection contests still around.
    Just my two pennorth,
    Sud.

5. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

I know the venue for the contest Minsthorpe High School and Community College quite well seeing that i spent the worst part of my schooling life there.

I have to agree that it is a poor place to hold a contest very poor facilities small stage and the closest pub is about half a mile away up hill. ( Ahhh the barnsley oak what a landlord he was. would serve you in school uniform on a luchtime those were the days. )

Perhaps the Head Of music Douglas Blackledge ( Ex Dyke and conductor of sellers ) has a had in the ontest being there.

6. Wonky_Baton

Wonky_Baton Active Member

As long as they dont cancel the Easingwold contest as well. It always falls near my birthday so saves me organising a party. It would be a nightmare if that was to fail too. :cry:

7. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I don't think there is too much danger of Easingwold being cancelled, if only because the pubs there would shut through lack of trade. I'm sure one or two of us will be found outside in the square propping up the pub walls from start to finish.

Sam

8. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

I normally found poleaxed out side the local fish shop until the hymn singing at the end of the contest where you can find me stood at the front singing very loudly about half a beat in front of every one else

9. Valvecap

Valvecap Member

What a good idea - might enable us to win something.... Ill put it to the band tonight... :p

We competed against at scarborough a couple of years ago David - you won and we got second (again) - but i think there were only 3 of us in it anyway... I agree with the comments previously posted - give a decent venue, decent number of good quality bands going, reasonable prize money (and occasionally the test piece might play a part) and you should have a good contest.