Contest adjudication. The ultimate, foolproof solution!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave Payn, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Having considered what I and others have said in 'Contesting? Forget it' as well as a myriad of other articles here there and everywhere, I think I have come up with the only system of judging contests that will appeal to all and not only that, it will save the relevant brass band associations a lot of money.

Are you ready for this? It's a mindblower, I tell ya.

Simple. Don't employ official adjudicators at all. Leave it in the hands of the competing bandsmen and women! Even if they've missed most of the other performances in the section, they should still be able to tell how well they did, (judging by normal post contest reaction) so all the organisers have to do is get all the players and conductors in at the end of the contest and ask for a show of hands for each band! The one with the most votes wins, the 2nd place band also qualify (and in some cases the 3rd placed band) and the votes for the remaining bands are duly totted up to decide promotion and relegation. There.

Hmmm..... actually, maybe this isn't such a good idea after all. Ho hum.... back to the sheep.....

:)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    bandsmen
    system
    solution
    others
    myriad
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... we could organise it as a pub quiz? :rolleyes:

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Dave...I see one flaw in your process.

Bands with a late draw haven't had as much of an opportunity to hit the bar and thus be skewed by alcohol and hearsay...perhaps an hour minimum pub time should be added between the last band and results?

Just a thought :p

5. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Get a clap-ometer!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... maybe you can add a negative weighting scale for alcohol units consumed ... to conteract biased opinion due to an altered state of consciousness ??? :tongue:

7. DublinBass

too complicated...easier to just let everybody drink more ;)

8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

How about after every contest you leave the announcement of the results until after a couple of weeks, during which time all those involved can have a good "discussion" about them online. The one who comes up with the best argument as to why they should have won can be awarded the prize? Another prize for why person x shouldn't be allowed to offer their opinion? Another for the most original argument from someone who wasn't there?
    Oh, sorry, we seem to already have the weeks of discussion after each contest.

How about a novel system where everyone just accepts that if you have one person adjudicating that person will have an opinion about the results. Like it or not, they are the adjudicator, not you - either accept the results, or don't bother competing.
    Oh no, that would be far too radical a change.

9. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Nah cause people fall asleep after the first couple of bands.

10. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

I think we should stick to picking the names of the bands out of a hat as they do now... Its tradition...

11. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well from doing the 4th section,3rd section &Championship section remarks for the mouthpiece i dont mind been appointed the Unofficial Adjudicator for some of the areas in the sections, as a few of the comments i have recived have gone down well with some of the bands:clap:

Anyone want to take me up on this by the way it will be open Adjudication with me sitting in the audience and seeing what band is playing plus a list of the draw:biggrin: [​IMG]

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    bandsmen
    system
    solution
    others
    myriad
  13. Chris Sanders

Or possibly the guy who did the 4barsrest retrospective of the nw-area top section should adjudicate all contests...

Could mark bands on looks, skirt lengths and pulling potential after several bacardi and cokes... Its the future... :p

14. DublinBass

Our sop player would be gutted then...after reading the NW reviews, she wore an exceptionally short skirt hoping to get noticed by 4BR, but it didn't happen ;)

15. Chris Sanders

Tell her to try a bikini next time, or if that fails wearing only cling film will do the trick..

16. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

sick..

17. Chris Sanders

Hey, she wants to get noticed...

We dont have to look... Ive never met her... She could look like Maggie Thatcher for all I know...

Urgh... Image...

Bad Boy...

18. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Beer muffs - The hearing equivalent of beer goggles