Containers as bandroom storage solutions

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cockaigne, May 21, 2013.

1. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

The band I conduct are faced with a probable change of rehearsal venue. Whilst they have a few options to explore, none of these offers the same storage facilities as we currently enjoy at our present band hall.

I've been asked by the band secretary to find out whether any bands have successfully used an outdoor storage container for storing their kit, as this may be a possible solution for us.

In particular, we need to check whether anyone has experienced difficulties with condensation/damp in such units - especially as the container would be likely to hold the band library besides percussion, stands and other kit vulnerable to such conditions.

Thanks all,
  2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I know people have used these as housing solutions - it works out very much more cheaply than bricks and mortar. Wikipedia has an article on it:

If these can be used successfully as homes, I see no reason why they can't be used for instrumental storage - or even as a cheap-to-build band hall! Stick three side by side, cut holes in the walls to suit, and bingo... Cosy but adequate, and total cost a few tens of thousands of pounds.
    In fact, if using one as band storage, then insulation would be necessary anyway - so I imagine it becomes a case of 'in for a penny, in for a pound'; might as well build a whole rehearsal room as build a library on its own.
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Was watching George Clarke's Small Spaces programme last night were used underground tube carriages were used as office space - only cost £100 from Transport for London ( a bit more to load and transport) Think the same series probably included use of storage containers for housing
  4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Assuming you mean a standard 40ft shipping container, I'd be very careful. My company used two of these for outside storage for a number of years, and experience taught us not to keep anything in them that would be adversely affected by damp without shrinkwrapping it first. Even then, long-term storage of paper or printed items isn't a good idea. The temperature range in a container is also huge - they're freezing in the winter but can get ridiculously hot in the summer (assuming we have one), so anything with metal or lubricated parts would suffer.

Given the "perishability" of most band kit (instruments and music, in the main) I really wouldn't recommend a shipping container at all, unless you have an economic means of regulating the internal temperature.

When I was at Middleton band I organised some industrial racking for instrument storage, because their rehearsal venue had limited space and they struggled to cram it all in on the floor, so this may be an option. Or could you try using one of those "self-storage" places? It would require a greater degree of forward planning than bands are used to, but if you knew in advance what music/perc/mutes you needed, could someone call on the way to rehearsal and collect it? You'd have to pay for it, but then you'd have to pay to rent a shipping container, and at least self-storage has some sort of temperature control!
  5. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

Hi Jack,

We have a seperate shipping container storage facility at Flowers.

If you want i can get some feedback from the librarian and get some photos to you of what it look slike if you want. Ours is a 20 footer and contains all the music and spare instruments (not percussion) plus other bits and bobs like CDs etc.
  6. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Thanks all for the feedback - James, that'd be great. My email can be picked up via my website, if not my profile here.

I understand that containers are available with temperature/humidity control systems (we used to keep the extra turkeys in one at Christmas during my supermarket days) but of course this would add to the upfront and running costs...