Contact Lenses

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Sharpy, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

I've just got myself a set of contacts and was wondering what everyone else who uses is them thinks of them? For instance I found yesterday that when I wore them for the first time out of the opticians that although my eyesight was better some stuff, like teletext on the TV was still blurry and not as sharp as if I was wearing glasses. Is this normal? Will it take my eyes time to adjust to wearing them? I'll ask these questions to the optician when I go for a check up next week but if anyone has any handy tips on getting them in and out too I'd be grateful!! :D
  2. wewizrobbed

wewizrobbed Member

I got contacts last year, they were great for normal stuff but when I tried to read music or a book etc I found they went blurry too! A few blinks can help, but it's scary on stage when you suddenly can't see the notes heehee. Also found that I forgot to take them out half the time, but that's just me!! Great if you can get used to them I suppose, but now i just don't wear anything except glasses when I need them.
  3. Di

Di Active Member

I got myself a pair early in November and the left eye was perfect, but they couldn't quite seem to get the right eye right. I never managed to get to my "week after" appoinment, due to my operation, so i'm gonna have to start all over again in the new year when i go back to work. :-?
  4. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Dont try getting them in and out in a car or bus etc i dont have contacts but someone on the bus does an she tried putting them in on the bus and poked her eye really hard cos the bus stopped at the lights.
  5. ju33les

ju33les Member

Never fall asleep in your lenses. When you wake up you will feel like your lenses are welded onto your eyeballs!

Always follow the cleaning procedures . Have a look at what happens to your eyes when you don't!

Make sure you put the correct lens in the right eye(or the left one!). That would account for some blurring!

If wearing soft lenses...make sure it is the right way round or it will feel uncomfy and also pop out at any given chance.

Never lick them (either in or out of your eyes!! :shock: )
  6. em_d

em_d Member

same with mine. music goes blurry sometimes-not good! but on the whole they're great. don't leave them in water if you have no solution either-they stick to your eyes and it's agony trying to get them off (not that i've done that of course, cough cough) hehe.
  7. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Yea I also found that music was blurry, and some things close up were, which was strange as I needed them for distance. I asked the optician about it and she said that it was because I wasn't blinking often enough. After a while it seemed to sort itself out.

I find I have phases of things being blurry, but again I think that's when I'm tired and my eyes are dry. I don't know what I'd do without my contacts now, couldn't face having to wear glasses again!

Handy tip: always carry a spare pair, or glasses with you incase one falls out... One fell out at college one day with me and split as I tried to get it back in, didn't have a spare or glasses and needed to drive home so I figured that keeping the other lens in was the best bet... my god it was strange! Couldn't really focus on anything, reading was a nightmare, and judging distances was amusing! Had to drive home with one eye shut!!
  8. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

No problems with my lenses. Keep them in for a month, then change them for a new set.
    It actually works out cheaper for me that way, than it did when I was buiying soloution and cleaning them every night.
  9. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Thanks for all the hints! I put them in again tonight and it took five minutes instead of 35 last night!! And it doesn't feel like I've got anything in my eye this time. My right eye seems fine just my left ones a little blurry but I can see OK. Just have to wait and see what reading musics like!
  10. ju33les

ju33les Member

It's a good excuse though! ;) :biggrin:
  11. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I love my eyes, I have the daily disposable ones although on occasion they turn into 'daily and a sleep and a drive home disposable', and as Ju33less says....if you sleep in them they stick, I had an interesting time getting mine out after a boxing day night out/morning out !!

As for the blurry music thing, I particularily find that I get that when I'm concentrating really hard or when I'm nervous. I forget to blink in my right eye and blurryness sets it. So if I ever start winking manically at you....I'm just concentrating ( or showing you one of my party tricks)

Good Luck, I'm sure you'll learn to love them
  12. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I'd never have contacts :-? You guys have just put me off....

:p ;)

I'd prolly go for the lazer treatment myself... but I'm happy with my glasses for now 8)
  13. Meg

Meg Member

I prefer wearing contacts every time, especially when I'm playing. Otherwise I end up looking over my glasses when I look at the conductor and it's very blurry! (No, I don't wear them on the end of my nose or anything like that!) I've only had a problem with it being blurry if they've been the wrong strength, or I've been out on the sauce, but that's another story..!
  14. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Im just looking forward to being able to play pool properly again! I have to look over the top of my glasses usually and it means that I cant see properly! At least thats my excuse and Im sticking to it!!!
  15. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

So there is an important reason for this! ;) Don't fancy contacts personally, it's the thought of putting them in, don't have a steady enough hand for that!
  16. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I've worn glasses since I was 8, and I can barely remember what it was like not to have them (very blurred, mainly). I couldn't face the thought of putting contact lenses in and taking them out. I'm far too squeemish for that.