Conservatoires???

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by chizzum, Dec 7, 2007.

1. chizzum

chizzum Member

Having auditioned for many different conservatoires Im in the difficult decision of now thinking which one to accept, (if they accept me). Im just trying to rank them now so I will have an easier decision.

Where do people believe is the best place to go?

Not just for brass bands by the way!

If anyone has any previous experience of anything about a conservatoire like the atmosphere or academic variaties please comment back!

Thanks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Im
    different conservatoires
    difficult decision
    way
    people
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Depends what you want from them really. I never studied at a conservatoire, but I worked for years at RAM and TCM, so I know a little bit!

It's horses for courses - like choosing a "normal" university.

4. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Hey!

which conservatoires did you apply for?

5. chizzum

chizzum Member

I applied to;

Birmingham Conservatoire,
    RNCM,
    RSAMD,
    RAM

6. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

RNCM have a great brass band

7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Well, I'm slightly biased of course ;) but out of that lot I would say that RAM are "best", closely followed by RSAMD. My reasons for choosing those are not necessarily valid for you though! :tongue:

Seriously, RAM is a very very good place to study, and I'd recommend it.

8. chizzum

chizzum Member

thats what im inclined to say, but doesd anyone know about the atmosphere at the RAM.

Unlike the RNCM where it is really lively is the RAM - go home to bed for an early night to be ready for tomorrow attitude???

9. HBB

HBB Active Member

Trust me, the whole lively thing dies down when you're not a fresher! :(

10. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I've seen my fair share of hungover students (and staff actually!) at RAM! The bar there is full most evenings...

11. groovy

groovy Active Member

If your considering the RSAMD, in terms of nightlife, Glasgow is a fantastic place to live! There are loads of students and consequently lots of cheap student nights and the rsamd is right in the centre of town as well. So, you're going to have a good time! As far as the actual academic side goes I don't really know - i'm at glasgow uni - but all the people i know who have gone there to study really love it. Theres a good brass section.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Im
    different conservatoires
    difficult decision
    way
    people
  13. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

If you advertise yourself as a bander you will get looked down on by peers pretty much whichever conservatoire you go to, pretty much a fact you have to accept nowadays. In my opinion RNCM is probably more favourable than others as it's slap bang in the middle of band country and thus far more becomes available to you, even though it's limited compared to orchestral players. Not having experienced the place, but I would guess the Welsh is pretty similar on a smaller scale, excellent band tutors though. London and Glasgow are more orchestral geared, and "gigs" would be more sparse.

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- competition for 'gigs' has always been fierce in Glasgow (or any city if you think about it) but the RSAMD seems to be softening it's orchestral stance. It accepted it's first (and so far, only) euphonium student this academic year with Dave Thornton as tutor.

15. HBB

HBB Active Member

Actually Tom there's two euphonium students at the RSAMD one in 4th and one in 2nd?! :)

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

As a first study instrument? Scott Findlater (1st year) is the only one I know and Dave Thornton only recently accepted the chair of 'professor'.

17. HBB

HBB Active Member

Yea, there's definately Tim Cooper in 2nd year.... 1st in euphonium, 2nd in composition.

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- aw well, Scot's mum must have meant that maybe he is the only euph player in this year's crop! Most players I have known at the academy usually had to use trombone as first and euph as second instrument. Simple logic for depping in the city orchestras (CV) and handy if Don Juan or The Planets were getting performed!

19. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

which one did you feel best at when you auditioned?
    can you understand the glaswegian accent easily?
    can you afford london?
    did you love the general atmosphere at birmingham?
    would you be happy in manchester, home of the most polluted road in britain?
    ...not hard to see where my loyalties lie, lol, but i'm afraid i can't offer too much assistance as i only applied on voice (before seeing the error of my ways...)
    good luck :)

20. HBB

HBB Active Member

it may be the most polluted road, but it doesn't really affect anyone too much if that's a big problem, it's just a vibrant awesome city with the biggest student population in Europe! :)

21. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

outside london *cough* :)

22. HBB

HBB Active Member

london doesn't count! :p anyway... depends what you count as london! :p