Conn 62HCL bass trombone for sale

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by MoominDave, Jun 3, 2010.

1. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

UMI Conn 62HCL bass trombone, bought new by current owner (i.e. me!) November 2007.
    Dual independent Christian Lindberg (CL) valves, Bb/F/Gb/D, with adjustable paddles.
    9.5" bell, single bore .562" slide, three removable threaded leadpipes - B ("traditional"), C (more 'modern'), D (very fat-sounding).
    Comes in black Pro-Tec case - hard with material covering.
    Very rare in UK - only one I've ever heard of this side of the Atlantic.
    Asking for £2600 in near-new condition - new in the UK this would cost well over £4000 (e.g. from http://www.trevorjonesltd.co.uk/ConnTrombones.htm). Even a new standard 62H (without the CL valves) would cost more.
    Photos are attached at the bottom of this post. Contact me if you want further pictures.

In excellent condition - some markings and a slight ding on bell lacquer due to shop-soilage as sold new, some lacquer wear on the handslide where the player grips it. Slide and valves recently checked up by a repairer in order to prepare instrument for sale - mechanically everything works well.

The CL valve is a revolutionary design that incorporates a Y-shaped airstream. It offers the following:
    - eliminates pop on moving from open trombone to valve(s) engaged
    - *very* short valve throw; the rotor only moves 45 degrees rather than 90. You barely have to pull on the valve at all to engage it.
    - air path through open valve completely straight; air path through engaged valves very efficient.
    - very even blowing response between open and valved configurations. This instrument is unbelievably nimble around the valve register.
    - darkens the sound of the instrument from that of a regular modern Conn 62H.

Here's some diagrams showing how it works. These are linked from http://www.tarrodi.se/cl/page.asp?show=9, where there is some more marketing bumf about the valve about halfway down.
    [​IMG]

This is a great dark-sounding bass trombone - get the modern Conn bass trombone sound with an extra layer of velvet on it... I used this for a lot of semi-pro bass trombone gigs as well as all my brass band stuff for over a year. So why am I selling it? I make quite a dark sound naturally, and this is just "too much of a good thing" when coupled to my personal way of playing. I enjoy playing it, but only find myself playing it rarely now. Somebody else deserves the chance to play this very responsive instrument. I am looking for £2600 for it - a real bargain, as new in this country these cost well over £4000. The link I supplied at the top to Trevor Jones's price list gives a new standard 62H at £2779 - this is your chance to buy the upgraded model for less than the price of the standard model.

A mouthpiece can be included if you desire - contact me, and we can discuss.
    My contacts are Dave Taylor, 01865 717765, 07969 000746, d@dt79.co.uk.
    Prospective buyers are very welcome to come to try the instrument - I am based in Oxford. I am also happy to play the instrument down the phone, or meet somewhere within reasonable distance.

Attached Files:

2. MoominDave

P&P included to the UK. Contact me to discuss international shipping costs.

3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Do the clothes pegs come with it, or are they to be sold separately? :biggrin:

4. MoominDave

Take the knackered picnic table as well and it's yours...

5. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Am sure you can have the pegs as an added bonus or by seperate negotiation ..... could do with some new ones. :tup

6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Is that a knackered picnic table, or the table on which to have a knackered picnic?

7. MoominDave

Whichever floats your boat. For extreme picnicking, both at once is possible.

8. MoominDave

The instrument is still available....

Bump...

9. MoominDave

Bumpity bump... If you like the look of the instrument, but don't like the price, make me an offer...

10. Splitzer

Splitzer Member

Il give you 800 quid. If you get the splits out first! ;-)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Conn 62HCL
    D
    UMI
    CL
    Christian Lindberg
  12. MoominDave

Think I've blown them all out by now!

13. MoominDave

I'd take £800 plus your 73H plus a fair bit more... Bearing in mind that my 73H cost me an admittedly extremely bargainous £500 a couple of years back...

14. Splitzer

Splitzer Member

73h??

I have an old imperial Eb if your interested? Do you play tuba?

15. MoominDave

Oops sorry, thinking of someone else. I do play tuba... Probably not interested as a trade as I want to use the money for something else - but do you have any photos of this Imperial Eb? Is it the later version with the 19" bell?

16. Splitzer

Splitzer Member

It's a small bell, frosted silver. Bit beaten up around the bottom bow but other than that seems ok.

It's with a friend at the moment, he was thinking of buying it but has had it for 4 months! Il give him a nudge. Would you be interested in a small bell one? It is compensating and all that.

17. MoominDave

Hmm. Probably not. Not that they're bad instruments, but I'm not in great need of a tuba of my own, and would probably be reselling it. Cheers.

18. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

And soon enough you'll be struggling for space? ;)

19. MoominDave

And a good tuba doesn't deserve to be nibbled by squirrels in the loft...

20. MoominDave

21. MoominDave

Couple of days left to go on the auction... Don't miss out...

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Conn 62HCL
    D
    UMI
    CL
    Christian Lindberg