Congrats to Sounds of Brass and Philip Hunt! :D

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Naomi McFadyen, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Sounds of Brass spreads!
    Due to public demand, Sounds of Brass is to be broadcast on a further 4 BBC Local Radio Stations from January 4, 2004.

This is the result of letters written by the public to BBC Radio Wiltshire, Bristol and Gloucester, which persuaded the management of the stations that Sounds of Brass would be a popular addition to their schedules. Now, the programme presented by Phillip Hunt will be carried every Sunday evening at 7.05pm on BBC Radio Cornwall, Devon, Bristol, Gloucester, Swindon, Wiltshire, Guernsey and Jersey - a total of 8 Stations

The hour long programme first went on the air on BBC Radio Devon on September 5, 1985, introduced by Phillip Hunt who has produced and presented every edition ever since. Over the years it was extended to other stations and January 4 (which is the 888th edition) marks the 10th Anniversary on BBC Radio Cornwall.

To celebrate Phillip will be launching a new signature tune on January 4, replacing the one which he has used since day one. This is a stunning new piece called Sounds of Brass written especially for the programme by Kevin Ackford. It is played by Camborne Town Band conducted by Kevin and was recorded by PM Sound of Truro.

From BrassBandWorld.com :D

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sounds of Brass
    BrassBandWorld.com :D
    BBC Local Radio Stations
    Phillip Hunt
    BBC Radio Wiltshire
  3. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

If I remember correctly John has appeared on Radio Wiltshire publicising tMP on a couple of occasions, so do you think there is there a connection here?

:wink:

4. Naomi McFadyen

ooo, you never know!! :D

let's hope that we can expand this programme further and further!!!

:wink:

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Yup that's correct Roger... BBC Radio Wiltshire, BBC Sindon and regularly now on BBC Berkshire which has a much larger listening audience figure.

Not forgetting BBC West Midlands of course with the tMP 10 Piece clan...:)

I'm looking to do loads more publicity type stuff in 2004, including more local radio, local and national press, and band contests & events. :wink: Look out for something possibly in the Guardian soon.... no more details just n case it doesn't make it... slow and steady progress eh...

6. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

What is the website URL where one can listen to an archived version of "Sounds of Brass?"

7. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

Do u now hoe to send them and email because i want to be able to get it over here i am 14 and it would be really good if people in Manchester could get it and i am speakin as a 14 year old as a teenager not many people my age would like it but why cant we have it broadcasted.

Come on guys you have to help me get it broadcasted in Manchester and across the North West and London.

8. Naomi McFadyen

Believe me... I'm sure we'll try get it over the whole of the uk if we can... (I miss it when I'm up in Manchester you see)
    Sounds of Brass was orginally just for the South-West of England, featuring local bands playing various pieces, re-playing contest result winners performances and featuring local composers...

I dont think you can listen to it on the website yet (I had a look on the BBC Devon site, and couldn't see anything)... again, maybe this is something we can change...

When I next see Philip, I'll have a word with him about all this shall I?
    :);-)

9. picju96

picju96 Member

I miss it up in Coventry too!

10. Kernewek Den

Kernewek Den Member

Surely the appeal for Sounds of Brass is its 'localness' (new word!). For example, four of the eleven tracks on the playlist for 28/12 are from Cornish bands (including one from our new CD - details at www.lannerband.org :lol: ). This wouldn't be possible if the programme went National.

Wouldn't it be better if other local BBC Radio stations produced a similar 'local' programme :?:

11. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

i just think that people who want to listen to it would be intrested in it they dont need to change nethin keep the cornish bands and all still goin just introduce it to the north west and london as for startin another simular programme it wouldn't be the same.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sounds of Brass
    BrassBandWorld.com :D
    BBC Local Radio Stations
    Phillip Hunt
    BBC Radio Wiltshire
  13. Naomi McFadyen

14. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

So Whos wit me all we need to do is make the names on this site of who wants it in London and North West and send it to BBC Radio Teams. Or if that dosnt work we can always send me a PM and we can send all the name son one email to them i will right it. AND walla they should listen it will be like a POTITION SO WHOS WIT ME.

Come On BRASS PEPS HELP US OUT HERE!!!

15. Naomi McFadyen

Slow down lilcornetgirl...

16. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

17. Hilary Mateer

Hilary Mateer Member

Congratulations also to Kevin Ackford whose user id on Tmp.com is Kernow, he is also IckleSop's stepdad and conducts Oughtibridge band who I used to play for.
    He has brought several of his compositions and arrangements to Oughtibridge band and I have enjoyed the ones I have played.
    I will look forward to hearing Sounds of Brass

18. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

not trying to be stereotypical, but i was a bit surprised when i read the areas it is broadcast in... seems the south is putting yorkshire and the northwest to shame in terms of spreading the word (so to speak)

19. Naomi McFadyen

Give it time ;-)
    I'm hoping to see Philip Hunt this week so I'll have a little word... if not this week, should definatly see him in Feb! 8)

20. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

That's SW not S - an important difference in terms of banding appreciation, I think. Though having said that, Swindon is only a few miles down the road.

Dave

21. Naomi McFadyen

*nods*
    very much so

22. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

I must admit hes a class conducter any band who has him conducting them is very lucky. GO KEV :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D