Congrats to 4barsRest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Anglo Music Press, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

How refreshing that a contest report has the courage to name names! If you haven't read this article yet, do so:-

especially if you are searching for an adjudicator in or around Sweden. ;)

My association with the Norwegian banding scene goes back to 1982. Such a shame that these great bandsmen and women were let down by such a debacle at the weekend.

I spent my time with the Alexander Brass Band from the 1st section. They played The Holy War (pretty well) and were told their sound was 'too dark'

Heaven help us!!
  2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

That's a good article actually.... very interesting reading...

3. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

"I don't like Philip Sparke's music – it sounds all the same to me."

Most unusual piece of griping I have ever heard from a contest.

Maybe it lost something in translation [​IMG] [​IMG]
  4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Even worse when you consider they are the words of an adjudicator. The mind boggles.................
  5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I want to go on record as saying that I agree with that adjudicator.

I think all Philip Sparke's music sounds the same - Superb!
  6. Anglo Music Press

Well thanks, but that was not the point I was trying to make. I really don't care what Mr Eklund (or anyone else) thinks. But he shouldn't accept a job as an adjudicator if he can't overcome his own likes and dislikes in terms of repertoire.

He was also quoted as saying he doesn't like contesting!!!!

Good grief!!!

I wonder what the Swedish for integrity is!! :confused:
  7. mikelyons

Does the Swedish language have a word for professional? (or does it mean something else ;) )

(*Don't be so English, Philip - I'm not giving out faint praise ;))
  8. Anglo Music Press

But I LIKE being English :(
  9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Even after last Sat and the one before...:wink::biggrin:
  10. Anglo Music Press

If you're refering to the rugby, then YES! we are still world champions!

(But I am one-eighth Welsh, just in case!)
  11. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

1/8th is good enough for me... Welsh you are then...:)
  12. mikelyons

As far as I know, I have no Welsh in me at all. Mostly Irish. Which probably explains a great deal about me. ;)

However, the English were appalling - even against the off-form French
  13. Anglo Music Press

Yes, but the ref was Swedish and said he thought all the English players looked the same!
  14. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

40 Euros an hour thakyouverymuch <katching!> (thats the old sound of a cash register for all you youngsters out there!) :D

Perhaps you should slip some ABBA numbers into your next piece :D hows about "The Winner Takes it All"
  15. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

haha i knew that was a cash register :biggrin:
    lol and ive just been listening to that!

oh and i havent read all of that article (bit long, i got abit bored)

but deary me, some of the things that have been said, and pointed out on here. its beyond me why they would say things like that!
  16. Notebook

Notebook Member

Article is as usual excellent from foxy and the team, but have you noticed that the vast majority of the photos feature a number of closeups of the female members of the bands.

Now I wonder if Foxy had the camera as well......!!!!!!:wink: :wink:

I'll have to keep an eye on them at Darlo next week!!!
  17. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

I'm sure that all the Kiwi A Grade conductors who've been wondering what to expect from Gothenburg at next month's NZ Nationals will be relieved to hear that Bengt doesn't like contesting. Looking at the list of own choice pieces (including Yorkshire Co-op, who will also be here), he might not like much of the music here either. It should be a royalty fest for Anglo Music Press. Can't wait to hear Music of the Spheres live!
  18. JR

JR Member

I can't understand Eklund - if he doesn't rate Sparke's music why did he record Year of the Dragon with his Gothenburg Brass some years ago?
    Even more worrying is 4br's report regarding one of the other 2 judges who allegedly admitted to "not knowing" many of the own choice pieces! - I would have thought familiarity with all the chosen works was an absolute prerequiste - When was he informed of the choices? was he not sent scores to study?
    Curiouser and curiouser etc...

john r
  19. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Hi JR look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

On a lighter note with 4barsrest

read this

I don't often laugh out loud at anything (mainly cos I'm a miserable moo you say!)

but some of the photos and comments were absolutely hilarious. Took me right back to our time in Norway.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  20. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

Hey Alex - you'd look great in one of those little yellow caps - are they mandatory for sop players in Norway?