Confused about whit friday!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Just Crazy, May 17, 2005.

1. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

I know this subject has been mentioned before but i never got a straight answer by reading the previous threads.

When your playing your march (contest one) on Whit Friday, What are the actually rules for repeats on the DC.

Do you play everything 2nd time?

Do you play as written?

Do you play it all 2nd time except the bass solo?

What?

Can someone clear this up and let me go into band on wednesday armed with some evidence.

Cheers

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Whit
    DC
    whit friday
    rules
    straight answer
  3. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Your safest bet is to DC and repeat everything, ending at the trio.

What are you playing? You might be better of taking 2nd time on the DC if it's a heavy blow, but that's down to you. You probably won't be slated for not repeating on the DC, but you definitely WILL be for not doing the DC at all!

Hope that helps!

Pam x

4. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

Cheers for that

We are playing 'Ravenswood'

We are playing the Dc but we are playing it 2nd time and playing bass solo twice.

The band have played it hundreds of times and usually do well.

They have not been told off for playing it like that before.

I was having a conversation with a friend and it cropped up again so i thought i had better ask.

5. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Your plan sounds perfect to me. I played Ravenswood with Moston last year and that's how they played it. Cornets were flagging a bit, but the bass solo sounded ok so we repeated that on the DC.

Hope you have a really good Whit Friday - play well, and I'll probably see you on the circuit!

6. rdixoncromcott

rdixoncromcott New Member

What about those marches that DO NOT HAVE A DC i.e. Bramwyn (which incidentally was written by an experienced Whit Friday adjudicator)?

If this is played top to bottom with all repeats, then it will have been done as written. After many years of seeking a proper answer to this one, I've still yet to hear the views of an actual adjudicator.

7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It seems incredibly unlikely to me that any adjudicator would care about this. Turn up, give a good performance, have a beer, enjoy the good results, and if you get a bad one somewhere, take heart from Fodens coming 30th and 29th at Dukinfield in 2011 and 2012 in amongst their usual slew of wins.

If the answer really is important, I suggest ringing individual contest controllers - each contest could potentially have its own rule on the subject. But I would submit that the answer really is not very important...

8. rdixoncromcott

rdixoncromcott New Member

Thank you - I was rather hoping this is what someone would say., albeit perhaps officially.

At least the Delph rules clearly state:

'Test piece march must be played once through with DC to Fine or Pause'

... which is ok as it stands, but not when there isn't a DC. I've seen many posts discussing the subject, but for everyone's peace of mind wouldn't it be good to have a definitive answer.

The important thing in this matter is of course whether to unnecessarily waste the band's time, energy, and effort. Also it would put the band's mind at ease before embarking on the trials & tribulations of the Whit Friday contests.

9. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Perhaps have a listen on Youtube? I'll bet there are loads of Whit Fri Ravenswoods on there and it'll either show a concensus on the practise of performing repeats or more worryingly/reassuringly they will all be different. Have a great time - however you decide to play it. I stopped attending the Whit Friday contests some years ago after becoming dissilusioned with apparent drunken thuggery at Upermill, and what can only be described as a sex act conducted by a lady and two bandsmen in an alley at Delph.

10. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Probably of no help, but just for the sake of information:

A friend of mine went to an unpleasantly wet Whit Friday several years ago. Mixture of drizzle interspersed with torrential downpours - one of those where you really wonder why you'd bothered. Anyway, they were about halfway round and ended up at Greenfield; stood in the middle of the playing field, getting towards the bottom of the page on "Ravenswood", when the heavens well and truly opened - I mean, seriously sheeting it down. So the conductor, displaying a rare flash of common sense decided to cut off the band at the bottom of the page and run for cover. Later, when the adjudicator's comments arrived in the post, after the usual noncommittal clichés, at the foot of the page he had written, "Don't worry, I do understand about the D.C." ...

11. JR

JR Member

reminded me of edinburgh festival 1992.....or 3

This reminded me of the old Edinburgh Festival Contest, which included a March up to the Princes St. bandstand. The only problem being that you had to play the contest march on the move (yes -really...) and then form up into some sort of whit Friday-esque huddle in front of the stand.

We (the old Rothwell..when it was sponsored by Wallace Arnold) actually won it that day, but I remember Whitburn marching up with The President, forming up into the huddle and the Major (Parksey) and the band being drowned by the biggest cloudburst ever...someone ran on with Golf Umbrella for the Major but the band had to just carry on to the bitter end complete with DC and repeats.....

John R

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Whit
    DC
    whit friday
    rules
    straight answer
  13. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

On the matter of DC or not to DC, FWIW from me - if it doesn't say it then don't do it. I won't comment on it unless it goes bad and spoils the performance (which happens more often than you might think.)

On the matter of repeats: Sometimes a repeat has to be played twice or it weakens the structure. It depends on the march. Some marches 'feel wrong' without repeats on the DC. As it is a contest, one of the many things I have to listen for is the band's/MD's sense of the overall feel of/for the music. This includes whether or not to play repeats on the DC.

[OT] Anyone who heard Fodens' performance at Denton last year will understand what I mean. It was so stylish and musical it was dazzling. The other notable thing about it was its precision. AFAICR, there wasn't a note out of place.

14. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Truly an adjudicating marathon I'd imagine doing one of these. Do you ever wish you could speed things up and have Simon Cowell style buzzer when you have heard enough of each band to make a decision? I was once told by another WF judge that he heard a band playing their street march in the distance and it was so bad he pencilled them in for last place, chinned it off, and went for a smoke / toilet break until they had finished their contest march.

15. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I think that is a disgraceful thing to do. It doesn't matter how badly a band plays, they deserve to be heard. Some bands have travelled a long way at great expense and, while not every performance is as good as it could be, there's no excuse for not doing the job properly. I always try to make my comments as helpful and constructive as possible. Every band that plays for me deserves that at least.