Conductors, do you give it some stick?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave Payn, Nov 11, 2003.

?

Conductors: what do you use?

1. Baton

64.0%
  2. Hands

28.0%
  3. Another part of your anatomy

4.0%
  4. Pencil

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Pen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Q-tip

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Toothpick

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Knitting needle

4.0%
  1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I still keep a few just in case, (normally in a baton case, in fact :lol: ) but I suppose I'm a non-baton man now (see avatar. No I'm not directing a meditation group!) I suppose I just find it suits me. I've conducted choirs a fair few times in my past, where batons aren't used that often (and indeed, frowned upon in certain places!)

Regards

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    man
    stick
    few
    case
    places
  3. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I read a book on conducting technique, I always remember it said conductors should use a baton beacause the players would find it easier to see the baton against various backgrounds.

i think this is probably more use in orchestra's were the players sit alot further away from the man in the middle.

4. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

I've got loadsa batons including a pink one yellow one and orange one!! all by molard, very nice to handle actually............. and it makes the b*ggers watch you.......... doesnt it alex!!?? :wink:

5. Steve

Steve Active Member

A Richmond Superking does nicely if you cant afford/be bothered to go to the music shop to buy a baton!! I always end up hurting myself if I use a pencil, deicate hands i guess!!

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I can see that point, but baton technique is another matter. I've seen conductors whose upper arms give a different beat to the baton and they're damn difficult to follow! I think so long as you can clearly indicate where the NEXT beat is coming from, then I'm not sure a baton is absolutely necessary (but it doesn't rule out me using one ever again! I'm sure I will. It's just that I spent years trying to find the baton that suited me best, then discovered I felt more comfortable and clearer in my direction without. Each to their own, I suppose)

7. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

in conducting at salford i tend to use a peperami hot... they work really well.

8. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

My brass teacher used to use a pencil when he was conducting in lessons and a wrong note was swiftly followed by the pencil coming into contact with your head!!! Then again this was prefable to various items on your person/in your schoolbag being thrown out of the practice room window (3rd storey)!! My Arban still has a few unreadable mud smeared pages!!

The same guy conductedhe County Youth Jazz Orchestra and didn't "do" beats. Just the slightest hand movement and fingerclicking, he also had secret signs for improv solos etc....

9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

With the added bonus that if someone criticises your stick technique, you can eat the evidence! I did include an optio for 'other' in the poll, but it seems I ran out of space!

10. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

i got peckish and ate the evidence before i got to the lesson this week!! so had to make do with a pencil :(

11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

But did you eat the pencil too? If you did, you sound like someone who's easily 'lead'! :roll: :lol:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    man
    stick
    few
    case
    places
  13. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

14. KennyC

KennyC Member

Unbelievable but true.

I once witnessed someone (a long time ago, not sure if he's still alive) who presumably hadn't had time to go home for his tea before band practice, conducting our junior band with a chip while the rest of his fish supper rested on the music stand beside the score.

Why is there not a chip box in the poll?

Kenny

Whitburn Band

15. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

at the masters, we bet ste sykes he wouldnt conduct with a fairy wand :)
    got on stage.. steve opened his jacket and there was a fairy wand in his inner pocket.. the whole band wet themselves and steve took out the baton from just next to it... gutted!

16. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Wouldn't conducting with the fish been just as useful? All the band would be able to find their 'plaice' then.... :roll:

17. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

oh deary me... someones had their weetabix for breakfast!!!

18. KennyC

KennyC Member

Don't think it would have made much difference. The band were having a whale of a time though.

19. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

IMO you should use a baton only if it gives you something extra that your hands can't - I see many conductors gripping the baton for dear life. The result is that the baton just follows the direction of the arm. Better to hold it more loosely and therefore allow yourself to move the baton (with the finertips) independantly of the hand/arm if needed.

20. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

What I'd like to know is which two contributors use 'another part of their anatomy'......... :twisted:

21. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Trying to follow Aidan's Pepperami (NOT a euphemism), is infact incredibly difficult. Darn thing wobbles around all over the place! Can also get dangerous if a bit breaks off, and get's in your eye! They burn those things you know, especially the 'Hot' ones!! :wink:

22. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

that post was incredibly beeeuuurrrggh-ish iain!!!
    I think I'm going to switch back to pencils now, cos i'm skint!
    you know those peperamis cost 70p!!!! its meant to be a student union shop too!! the cheek!