Conductor's/Compere's notes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alanl58, Dec 12, 2005.

1. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Having spent many a happy hour researching the details behind a particular piece of music and it's composer, and arranger, for my MD to use at concerts, it occurs to me that tMP could provide a useful service by filing away such details for other bands to use in the future at their own concerts.

So how about a sub section that has details about music and brass band arrangements that can be " lifted" or "plagerised" for use by other bands in their concert notes?

The inputed programme notes would need to be authentic, and not speculation or hearsay, so the site would need a disclaimer to the effect that it was up to the user of the information to verify accuracy etc, and tMP would have no responsibility for errors etc...

Certainly such a site would save hours of researching, and perhaps some MDs would actually get their programme notes right for a change!

What do other "researchers" think?

2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I think that's an excellent idea and whilst accepting that there are 1000's of pieces of brass band music available it may seem that the chances of picking up a piece that has already been researched/logged would be low. However taking the 80/20 rule I would speculate that 80% of the bands programmes are taken from about 20% of the available music repetoire. How often do you go to another band and find they're playing half the music your using at your own band?

How many bands played Amarillo last year?

What about a separate section for details about the arranger/composer - no need to include that in the separate information about a piece but could have a general entry for this.
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

This is an excellent idea, Alan, and one which I think we could set up fairly easily and succesfully. I've mentioned this in our moderators forum, and we are discussing things now. In the meantime please feel free to post ideas and thoughts on this here.

Looking at the time of your post, was this one of those early morning flashes of inspiration? ;)
  4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Indeed, we agree Alan/Frances that this is a superb suggestion and are currently discussing how we will manage this new soon-to-appear section on tMP. More feedback later today after all the team have checked in!! :)

Thanks for a great idea. :tup
  5. What a brilliant idea, i too have spent many hour's in front of a search engine seeking inspiration! Any help would be great!

What a top suggestion!

6. TheMusicMan

UPDATE: We are most definately going to introduce a new Compere / Programme Notes section on theMouthPiece - as a sub-section of the tMP Library. In usual tMP fashion and as you would all undoubtedly expect, we are considering how best to meet the requirement in a professional and pragmatic manner, and are just finalising how to ensure any copryright is protected and how to best and most effectively manage the contributions.

We have to thank alan58 for this excellent suggestion. Please do keep an eye out for this new section very soon.

Cheers all...
  7. Steve

Steve Active Member

This could well become one of the most valuable resources on the web. :eek: :clap:
  8. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Glad you like the idea, and I just hope it is workable.

No it was not a post midnight "flash idea", I had been thinking about it for ages. But the early hours is when I am free of other things like rehearsals, gigs, Space Cadets etc, so I can spend a bit of time on less demanding things.

I worry a bit about authenticity, though, because I have researched things in the past only to find that the comment/info came from someone's school course work and was riddled with inaccuracies. Perhaps posters should put two site links into their notes?

9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Or in some cases the composer / arranger can post their own notes which would mean we know it is accurate :biggrin:. Great idea though - I'll look forward to seeing it implemented!

10. TheMusicMan

Well said Alan... and is exactly the reason we are discussing with the tMP Team how best to manage this new feature on tMP. We will be drafting some guidelines asking for posters to provide credit to original authors where this is necessary and appropriate, as well as general guidelines that will govern the service.

Will get this evenings upgrade out of the way first though and set this up in the next day or so.
  11. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Not so sure, myself; would take away half the fun of preparing programme notes, ie. making it up when you can't find anything interesting ...;)
  12. dyl

dyl Active Member

No-one's said you have to use it.......................... ;)
  13. persins

persins Member

I think it would certainly be useful as a reference. It may not write the whole lot for you but could give you a few ideas regarding the factual content if not the more personal touch of the full programme notes.

Could the repository benefit from a standard format with set facts about the pieces eg. Composer; date; arranger; premiere performance etc. followed by a free text bit for other info. That could then act as an index in itself and allow the users to find the relevant information quickly without having to delve into all of the detail?

Perhaps it could follow a similar line to the guests / deps area?
  14. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

great idea!:icon_cheesygrin:
  15. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

What, like a compere we had in the Summer, who announced we were about to play The Lion King, from the Disney film, Beauty and the Beast! :icon_rolleyes:
  16. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Nah, that's not making it up.

That's being wrong.

Making it up is saying that "A Swinging Safari" was written after a drunken conversation with Johnny Weismuller, who whinged that Tarzan didn't have a decent theme tune...

Or that "Mellow Mood" was a reaction to an arrest for smoking cocaine...

Neither are true, mind!
  17. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

'Course, on the other end of the scale are those occasions when your research turns up some absolutely preposterous piece of background information, which is completely true, but no-one in your band will believe you ...

(can't think of an example off-hand, but I'll be back when I do ...)
  18. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

maybe we could include anecdotes and programme "banter" too?:icon_biggrin:
  19. ... and new jokes for the Rushden Town Band MD please - hopefully the old ones have all been lost in the fire!

Excellent idea - it will save trawling the internet for hours
  20. Brian

Brian Member

I did some research on a Ukrainian Carol we were playing at Christmas, and made a dreadful attempt at trying to pronounce the composers name, and where it was derived from, was corrected by a Ukrainian in the audience, thankfully at the interval.