Conductors at the Area's

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Cantonian, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

There are some very good band trainers and conductors around the country and for the Area's in particular these guys are in demand.

However, I wonder whether some bands can gain an advantage because of this.
    Looking particularly at the Championship section for Yorkshire last weekend and the Scottish Championship section this weekend.
    David Read was and is adjudicator at both. His adjudication notes, what he was looking for, tempos etc will have been read by Ray Farr and Russell Gray (Pennine and Carlton). Newtongrange (Ray Farr) and Whitburn(Russell Gray) can temper their weeks preparations for the Scottish Area towards these notes.

Gareth Ritter in Wales is very much in demand but I wonder whether conducting two bands in the third section (Goodwick and City of Cardiff) may be a conflict of interests.

Just a few thoughts for discussion!;)
  2. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

maybe a variation on the rule restricting players to one band at the areas could be brought in, conductors could only conduct one band in each section accross ALL area contests.
  3. horn1

horn1 Member

It's just like it used to be in the old days ;) didn't Harry Mortimer (could be someone else my BOCiness is a little rusty) regularly conduct loads of bands at one contest?
  4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It was commonplace....IIRC there was a contest where all bar one or two of the Bands were conducted by the same man...names like Rimmer and Owen are the two that spring to mind...slightly before HM, though ;)
  5. horn1

horn1 Member

I knew I'd got the wrong name! doh!! :)
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The only way you can successfully implement this is by having all the areas on the same day. That would create availability problems, though, for professional MDs and adjudicators (... cannot be in more than one place at one time).
  7. stevetrom

not at all, ther would be no problem with a conductor taking a champioship section band last weekend in yorkshire, a 2nd section this weekend in wales and a 1st section band in L&SC next weekend.

What would'nt be allowed is a conductor taking a championship section band in Yorkshire last weekend, reading the remarks (talking to the adjudicator?) and using that information to modify his reading of the piece for a contest this (or next) weekend, possibly with the very same adjudicator.
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If you read my post, I suggested having all the areas held on the same day! ;) You are correct in saying that some conductors use feedback from one contest to other contests held later on (and this can also apply to adjudicators who have conducting interests in other regionals!).
  9. Brian

Brian Member

Do you really think that these "top" conductors would alter their interpretation of a piece after receiving remarks from a previous performance with another Band?
    Are you really considering stopping these conductors from earning their living ( dont forget some of these people are making a living from conducting bands)
    and what would be the outcome of this?
    As regards Adjudicating, if you dont have the top conductors adjudicating across the areas, who will you appoint to do this thankless task:
    Dont forget that the NABBC run Seminars on the Regional Test Pieces in each of its areas, where the day is spent listening to and diseminating the pieces by fellow top conductors/adjudicators for the benefit of its members; this was also done this year by the Association of Adjudicators.
  10. stevetrom

Yes, if an adjudicator did'nt agree with their interpretation and they knew they had the same adjudicator 2 weeks later

If they are makiing their living from conducting all the more reason for answering yes to the question above

we'll never know because I can't ever see it happening :)
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- Don't you think it would be a good idea if feedback from these seminars were made available to conductors and players that couldn't attend?
  12. stevetrom

It would be good if the adjudicator issued some guidance as to what he is looking for BEFORE the contest rather than in his summing before the results are announced.
  13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Perhaps the Yorkshire Committee think that's possible as they moved Peter Bassano from adjudicating 1st Section to Champ as he was conducting a 1st section band in L&SC.
  14. dizzy068

dizzy068 Member

How is that different to a conductor attending the championship section in Yorkshire last weekend, listening to the bands and the adjudicators comments - possibly having sight of the write ups etc....then using this information to modify their reading of the piece.....etc etc.....

There seems to be a cloak of suspicion surounding contesting and an attitude that everyone else is 'cheating' or obtaining unfair advantages. Surely the most important thing is playing a well executed musical reading of the piece, and acheiving personal and collective improvement in the process of striving for excellence. Results are secondary and subjective - but then maybe I've been out of the contesting game for too long?
  15. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Or perhaps just as likely to listen to what an adjudicator says and then find that the adjudicator(s) in another area has a completely opposite opinion or thought on how they wanted it played.
  16. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

My general stock response to this is "so what". Its a band contest not the World Cup final.

I don't think that within the space of a week that Russell wil be changing the way he interprets the piece for Whitburns benefit. In any case David Read must have found favour with Russells interpretation as his band finished third. There is also the fact that David Read will not be alone in the box as two adjudicators are used in Scotland. Perhaps this is an argument in favour of more than one adjudicator then.
  17. stevetrom

but what if they had come last?

18. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

I agree. However there is kudos (and financial gain....however small at the areas) in doing well at contests. The result is often at the subjectivity of the adjudicator. If you take note of his comments then you can adjust the performance thus making it more objective!
  19. wewizrobbed

wewizrobbed Member

First of all, this band will probably be rehearsing every night so a week is a very long time!

Secondly, is this not what he is being paid for? Surely he is there to win the competition?!?! With a week to go, if your conductor is told by the adjudicator, 'if you play blah more blah, I will like your performance more', would you not want him to change his interpretation? :confused:

I don't compete and spend the amount of time at rehearsals as I do for no reason - it's actually quite nice to win!! I would expect the conductor, whoever he may be, to do his best in order to achieve this.
  20. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

That presupposes that an adjudicator has a fixed idea about how he'd like to hear the piece. There are many possible 'correct' interpretations of any one piece of music and all the adjudicators I've spoken to go into the box with an open mind, looking for the performance which works best. The only criteria which should be used, in my opinion, are the generic ones (as outlined in Alan Morrison's work with the ABBA) such as tuning, balance, ensemble etc.