Conductor looking for a band in Scotland later this year

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by Dave Payn, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

(Mods, any chance of making this a 'sticky', please?)

Though it may sound a bit 'previous', I am, nevertheless, moving to the Isle of Arran, probably around October 2004. As there is but one band on the Isle, who are fully occupied in the role of MD, I'll be looking for a lower section (2nd-4th section) band to conduct on the mainland in Scotland. I have had a diverse career in conducting, from brass and wind bands in and around London (Fulham, Crystal Palace, Croydon, Epsom and Ewell as well as guest conducting for others in the SE area) to Choral Evensongs at Southwark Cathedral. I would of course, be willing to supply a full musical CV.

So if any lower section Scottish bands are looking for an MD come autumn, I'd be very grateful and honoured to be considered.

Kind regards
  2. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

As you've contributed so much time and help with the preparation of the copyright fact sheet I think its the least we can do.

3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Much appreciated Roger. Wasn't 'trying it on' or anything but I felt I needed to advertise my 'services' sooner rather than later!

Thanks again

4. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Will you have to work reheasal times around the ferry??!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
  5. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

No! He'll have a Band-on-ship!

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Might depend on "Who pays the ferryman?"

(see earlier thread :wink: )
  7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Actually a good point geordie! The idea is hopefully to find a band that rehearses either once or twice a week and stay overnight. (Nearer the west or south west coast of Scotland the better, but open to offers!) Or get a resident band on the ferry! ;-) :)
  8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

No, no, NOOOOOOO! I'd rather perform a continuous series of performances of John Cage's 4'33' than play that! I'd even rather play Floral Dance! ;-)
  9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

That's if she doesn't object, of course :oops: :wink: :lol:
  10. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Welcome to Scotland Dave. Arran is a wonderful place and I have stayed there many times. There will probably be the usual post areas blood letting as regards conductors so I'm sure you'll find something. Don't kow if they are still looking but Campbeltown Brass have recently lost their regular MD Gordon Evans as he moved to Carlisle. Campbeltown is on the opposite side of Arran from mainland Scotland and there is a small ferry service from Lochranza in the north-west of the island don't know if it operates in winter though. The Campbeltown band secretary can be contacted by email on

You can use our links page to check out other Scottish bands or at least those with websites.
  11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Thanks for this info. Really very much appreciated. I know Lochranza fairly well (well, I've been to the distillery!) My girlfriend's house is on the South End (Shannochie/Lagg). Boats are quite limited even from Brodick - Ardrossan in the winter, so I don't know about Lochranza ferry, but I'm sure my better half knows!

Thank you very much once again.
  12. HBB

HBB Active Member

That's really, really good Roger! :tup :tup
  13. trombelle

trombelle Member

surely that shud be "That's really, really good FOR Roger" ?!?!?

hehe... u know im only kidding :wink:
  14. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

You could try Irvine and Dreghorn brass. They have a conductor but iv heard that they are looking for cornets. They are probably the closest band to Ardrossan so, therefore, easiest for you to get to.

Good luck! :)