Conducting 101

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Farmer Giles, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

Hi all

never conducted before

hopefully will never have to !

what are the essentials to conducting ?

it might help improve my bandsmanship !

2. MarimbaMan

MarimbaMan New Member

keeping time probably, oh and shouting at percussionists ,"shut up" or "stop the tam-tam please?".
  3. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

and a supportive family
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

5. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Down beat!
  6. Martin

Martin Member

......all these and patience!!!!:)
  7. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

I rate the ability to keep hold of a baton, during fast and furious passages, very highly!!!
  8. jamie m

jamie m New Member terms of contesting, throw the metronome in the bin and play to the box! :wink:
  9. awalker

awalker Member

Beat a firm beat and stand your ground!!!
  10. Di B

Di B Member

Surprised no one has mentioned confidence and the ability to encourage and develop your players. People skills are highly advantageous!
  11. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

The ability to read the whole score, not just the solo cornet line and/or the part you're used to playing.

Impartiality - giving equal care and attention to your lover/spouse/friends in the band and the people you don't get on with so well (because there are bound to be some!)

Being able to motivate and inspire people.... remember to use the carrot as well as the stick.

Don't be afraid to own up to a mistake.

Care! Noone wants to sit in front of a conductor who's heart isn't in it - if you're not paying attention, you've got a hand in your pocket etc etc then you may as well give up and go home.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  12. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Gordon Jacob wrote a very good book on it, but I can't remember what it's called. C'mon Brassneck, you know what to do!
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Didn't know that he had written a book about conducting. :oops: He did write a book called "How To Read A Score" though. This can be bought cheaply here at Amazon (if you hurry), but it is likely to orchestral, not band scores.
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There are some good articles about conducting and preparing scores and rehearsals here by various people including Geoffrey Brand. Lots of useful information for new and experienced conductors.
  15. awalker

awalker Member

Another good book is The Art of The Conductor by John Watkins ISBN 978-0-595-43396-4.

It a very informative book guiding you on conducting skills, terms, techniques, how to use your hands and more. A definite read for the beginner conductor.
  16. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Some useful tips:-

Always ask the percussion section what sticks they are using. Seems to make you sound knowlegdeable.

Have some useful anectdotes about playing for a fabulously good band in years gone by. Players love to hear that kind of thing.

Jump up and down in rage from time to time - players love that too, it shows you care.

Make players play passages over and over again without telling them why. It encourages them to think.

Never practise 5/8 or 7/8 passages - it's a waste of time, just waggle your stick about.

All of the above have stood me in good stead so far, and I'm sure there are countless more.................
  17. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

5/8 is always an awkward one. 7/8 can be mastered. There are two ways, I can think of in which this can be overcome. Either(depending on the tempo) do the whole 7 beats or, if the tempo is slow there is always the divider, 4/4; 3/4 method.