Concierto de Aranjuez

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Borfeo, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Ok, where will I find an arrangement of this piece for flugel horn?

I've had a look on every website I can think of, and THE most famous flugel horn solo of all time isn't on ANY of them. Is there a conspiracy or something?

Answers on a postcard please

Thanks

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

3. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

I did an arrangement for Studio Music of the second movement of the Rodrigo Guitar Concerto but it is a band piece not the flugel solo. The flugel solo was arranged by Kevin Bolton for my father in law Peter Edge (sorry Peter) when he was playing flugel with the Goodshaw Band over 20 years ago where Kevin was MD. I think copyright restrictions are stopping the arrangement being published but I know that there are several illegal copies flying around, it might be worth getting in touch with Kevin direct. But I wouldn't count on getting a set off him because of copyright difficulties!

Every flugel player seems to be playing 'Orange Juice' why not try something different, there are lots of new flugel solos (originals and arrangements) by several talented people available. Do you dare to be different??? :shock:

Good Luck
    Darrol

4. leisa

leisa Active Member

do children of sanchez that piece is amazin!!!

5. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

Oh dear, about 5 years ago (cant be long after Brassed Off was out thinking about it) I actually played the Bolton version and the band even got it recorded onto tape and released it (eep!) :oops: :? :oops:
    Very nice and I've still got a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a.......copy of the soloist part in Kevins very nice handwriting :lol:

I wonder how many copyright laws that broke...oh dear oh dear oh dear :)

6. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Thanks guys, some helpful hints there.

My flugel player had his heart set on the Aranjuez, however there are other options though. I've got Children of Sanchez but I'm not sure my band would be up for the bass line (I remember blasting my way through that, quality) I've actually got a mate who's done the Aranjuez, however if there are copyright problems over it all then it might be risky doing it at contest.

Anyways, I'll have a think. Throw more flugel solos at me if you want, might help me change my mind :wink:

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Depending on what sort of solo you're looking for, Bill Himes' "So glad" may be worth considering. It is in a light swing style, and also works well with a reduced accompaniment if you want to give some of the players a breather. (Also goes well on sax - alto or tenor!)

8. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

I've got a flugel part for it but that's all.

9. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Great piece this one! Gloria ( :roll: ) plays it in Brassed Off! (although we all know she didn't really play it!)

Edited: (RT)

10. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Edit: Post Deleted

Come on guys, this is a family forum!

Back on Topic please (RT)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Concierto de Aranjuez Ok
    famous flugel horn solo
    Concierto
    Aranjuez Ok
    look
  12. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

I wasn't aware we went OFF topic!!!

13. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I didn't think my earlier post was that bad, apologies to anyone who found it offensive.

14. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Thank You Seedhouse.

I received two PM's this morning regarding both posts in which offensive was taken. This was the reason that the posts were edited and deleted.

I hope you appreciate our actions in trying to keep everyone happy and continuing to keep this a family friendly forum.

Thank you for your continued support.

Roger (Moderator)

:wink:

15. HBB

HBB Active Member

Has Seedhouse's post been modified then?, becuase I don't find it offensive! :shock:

16. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

I think I can guess the joke, tut tut

lol

17. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

I hear that Rodrigo happened to be in London when Brassed off was premiered and was very glad of the royalties. Kevin Bolton didn't get a penny, of course. Thinking of the amount of bands who have (illegally) photocopied his arrangement, he probably never got any sales either. Still, he got reputation (probably worth more).

18. markyboy

markyboy Member

I know this topic has drifted into talking about Kevin Bolton, but I would just like to mention he took us on Whit Friday this year and did a great job for us.
    I dont think he reads this forum but it was a real plasure for him to conduct us. Worth booking if you ever need a guest conductor!

19. Shommusic

Shommusic New Member

Concerto D'Aranjuez

My band has a copy of the hand written parts, by Bolton. I transcribed it, and used it as a Tenor Horn solo. Works really well, although quite a lot of prolonged upper register stuff is required, hanging around top D's and E's! (Not on the original flug soloist copy, but I borrowed some ideas from various flugellists ive heard play it!). You also have to play over a very loud band at time! A challenge to rise to for most horn players!

I also featured it as a horn solo when the band i used to play in toured around the Madrid area; the Spaniards loved it!

20. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

From stuff that I've heard (and apologies to Mr Bolton if he reads this and thinks I'm speaking out of turn) there are, I believe, certain legal (i.e. copyright) reasons why it is extremely unlikely you'll find a set of parts for the 'flugel' arrangement. (Not my doing! Honest!) Cannot say any more than that.

In response to another area of this thread, may I suggest (not that I'm threatening to do anything personally - just suggesting to prevent any lawsuits and the like) that contributors be a little more careful about including 'I arranged/transcribed this' posts on this board. It's best to make sure the original work is out of copyright, or that you have had permission where copyright in the original work subsists, before promoting your transcribing talents!

Kind regards

Dave Payn
    Performing Right Society
    Fulham Brass Band
    Conductor: Croydon Brass band

21. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

The story I heard when I tried to buy this piece from a local music shop was that permission was never obtained for the brass arrangement. Rodrigo's widow was very upset that the piece was arranged for instruments other than guitar and orchestra and ordered her husbands publishers to seek withdrawl of the said piece on threat of legal action.
    Anybody who plays the brass piece is technically breaking copyright as apparently did the film and any recordings thereof.
    Dont know how accurate this story is but it all seems feasible and would explain the difficulty obtaining it.

I saw a documentry on this piece of music and it helds many tragic memories for Rodrigo and his wife. As I recall rodrigo's wife either miscarried or had a still birth whilst on their honeymoon in the town of Aranjuez. What was a happy occasion turned into tragedy. This is why she was so upset.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Concierto de Aranjuez Ok
    famous flugel horn solo
    Concierto
    Aranjuez Ok
    look