Concerts in Smoking Venues

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by PeterBale, Jan 19, 2004.

?

Do you object to playing in a smoky environment?

1. Smoking should not be allowed when bands are playing

89.5%
  2. Bands should consult their players before taking on such events

3.5%
  3. Individuals should be allowed to "opt out" if they feel strongly about it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I would play, but under protest

1.8%
  5. I would refuse to play, even if it put my position in the band at risk

1.8%
  6. Doesn't bother me - carry on regardless!

3.5%
  1. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Reading the Comments in 4barsrest this morning, I spotted a reference to playing concerts in smoky environments, and thought it might merit setting up a poll to see what tMPers think. As a non-smoker I do not particularly relish the prospect of inhaling smoke when playing - we used to go to play at a London venue at Christmas-time where we played whilst the guests enjoyed their pre-dinner smoke and chat, and it used to be very unpleasant.

The options are not ideal, and are more of an attempt to spark off discussion. When posting, try to keep comments on the subject itself, rather than getting involved in a general discussion on smoking, that is already elsewhere on the Forum.

(Edit: Just amended poll to include option for those not bothered by the effects of smoke)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Christmas
    environments
    venue
    prospect
    smoking
  3. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

I know when playing at Dobcross or Glossop it gets very smoky and also very warm, which makes playing conditions quite unpleasant. However I also realise both venues have a bar and rely on the paying public to bring in the money so if they were to ban smoking, people would probably go else where if they wanted to smoke.

Personally, as a non smoker and someone who suffers from asthma I'd like to see non smoking venues however in reality I can't see it happening.

4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

agreed laura.
    but a good topic :)

5. Steve

Steve Active Member

As a heavy smoker there is nothing better than taking a huge breath for a 12 bar passage ang getting a lung full of smoke/tar/nicotine. I have to admit I feel bad for the non smokers though, I think Roy Castle is testament to the dangers of playing in smokey venues.

6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

it'd be a nice idea if we had the option to restrict our audience any further...

7. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

supposed to be a smoking ban in all workplaces coming in here at the end of Feb.
    That includes bars, resteraunts, etc...

will hold my breath until it comes in...

8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

good topic...

I think that bands should consider this before agreeing to do the job in the first place... if you do a job in a venue like a bandclub, it's bound to be in a bar where smoking will be aloud...

9. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I hate playing in smoky places and ideally would love to refuse, but I guess it comes down to how well the gig pays, and how much the band needs the cash.

10. NeilW

NeilW Member

I think Roy Castle was a case in point - they blame his cancer on playing gigs in smokey venues...

Neil

--
    I don't mind people smoking, as long as they don't breath out :)

11. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I can see both sides of the discussion here, but non-smokers, and this is directed more at SA bandsmen/women, what is the difference between playing in a smokey atmosphere, and going nround the pubs selling the SA newspapers, and this is not meant to be antagonistic in anyway.
    Since I left the SA, one of the highlights of my year was the local SA band coming round the pubs and playing carols. Not once did they get any abuse, in fact, one year when they felt that this might not be possible any longer due to the dwindling numbers of the band, and the age of the players, there was one heck of an outcry in my hometown.

Apologies if this has rambled on.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Christmas
    environments
    venue
    prospect
    smoking
  13. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Crikey - they must be very heavy smokers if you can actually hear them above the sound of the band... :wink:

D

14. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

:lol: yea... powerful isn't it!

:oops: stand corrected on spelling once again...

Yea, so I'm against it like....

;-)

15. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Bit of a tough one this but if a band wants / needs the cash available to them from such a venue then they need to put the issue before the band members.

As a smoker I find it hard to see the difference between playing a 2 hour concert in a smoky environment and sitting in a smoky bar for 8 hours after playing at a contest but maybe that's heading off topic...

16. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Good point, but it is different!
    1. I can choose whether or not to sit in a bar/pub/club at any time, but I can't choose whether or not to turn up to a band gig (at least I don't think it would be right to!)
    2. I breathe far more deeply when I'm playing .'. take in a helluva lot more smoke.

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I take your point, Kev, but as has been said elsewhere, if I were selling the "War Cry" I would not be taking in gulps of air to fill a bass! Equally, I am sure that concerns about the effects of passive smoking and the lingering smell of smoke on uniforms has been one of the factors in a number of Corps choosing not to carry out a traditional "pub-booming" ministry, but to distribute the papers in shopping centres etc instead.

18. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Which is why I think the bands should ask their players whether or not to accept the engagement. I try to be a responsible smoker but all that goes out the window as soon as alcohol appears before me... sorry :(

19. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Doh! I had voted before you added my real choice :)

20. horn1

horn1 Member

I do think that playing in a smoky enviroment is a problem, as an asthma sufferer concerts can be a huge nightmare when playing in a club. I see the point about after contest etc. but when my asthma is bad I take myself out of that situation, I can't always do that when I'm playing, plus the smoke makes my asthma worse which doesn't tend to make me play well!

21. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

I really do sympathise with all those who suffer from any medical condition that is exacerbated by a smoky atmosphere. In our band the smokers are a minority (outnumbered about 3:1 I think) so, as chairman, I wouldn't dream of forcing an engagement in a smoking venue on the band.

However, if the fee is attractive enough, I'm not above getting down on my hands and knees and begging them to turn up anyway.

22. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Did you get home from the "smoky venue" we were at on Saturday?? I canny remember going home! You need to come round for tea sometime!
    I'll let you know when we're out on razzler again!! Should see my lip gloss I won!! Glittery and everything. BLISS!!