Concertos for Brass - Gregson/Langford, Besses o' th' Barn

Discussion in ' User Reviews' started by PeterBale, Jul 29, 2003.

1. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I picked up a copy of this in Tower Records yesterday, as my old tape is showing its age. I had forgotten quite what a good recording it was, particularly hearing the late John Fletcher in his prime.

Also, I think the Gregson horn concerto is often overlooked. It is very characterful, particularly the finale, very reminiscent of Gilbert Vinter's Hunter's Moon. I know it was written with french horn in mind, but I would have thought the third movement especially would work quite well on tenor horn.

Incidentally, it appears that most of the Chandos Brass catalogue is available now at about £4.99 a disc - there are some gems there, particularly from Dyke in their prime. This is the link to the Chandos web-site:

For anyone ordering online, postage to the UK is £1 per order, regardless of how many cds you want.
  2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for that Peter - just might look seriously at that!
  3. £5 sounds good for a Fletch cd. I dunno if anybody else is doing this, but for the OCR Music A2 Level, you have to compare and contrast two recordings of the piece your playing in your practical exam. I think i'm going to do the Gregson, and if i buy this cd, iv got two recordings with the Gourlay/Brittania Building Society cd. This isn't really that important as i already have 2recordings, but does anybody know of any other recordings of the Gregson Tuba Concerto?
  4. PeterBale

I've got one other version, with wind band accompaniment by the Stockholm Symphonic Wind Orchestra. I can check up the other details when I get in tonight.
  5. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I was bought this CD as a Christmas present about 10/12 years ago. Still an awesome CD.

6. PeterBale

Here are the details of that other recording I mentioned:

The soloist is Lennart Nord, accompanied by the Stockholm Symphonic Wind Orchestra, and it is on the Caprice label: CAP 21414
  7. cheers, im on the case