Concert With A Difference!

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by NAS, Dec 8, 2004.

1. NAS

NAS Member

Saturday 11th December @ 7.30pm,
    Rainford Village Hall.

This Saturday Rainford band will be performing its end of year concert to the village. The band try to do something different each year and this year we have decided to have slides that relate to the music. So don't miss out on a great evening of music and visual displays!

Tickets available from

Hurry though they are nearly sold out!
  2. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Are you sure it's not your Trombone Choir that's playing?:-?
  3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

We did a concert like that in September but had extracts from the film we played.

As we did a BRASS AT THE MOVIES CONCERT, it goes down really well .:-D
    So the best of luck with your concert:)
  4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Did you play the music from Titanic? ;)
  5. NAS

NAS Member

Music we will be featuring with slides :

Gaudette - Newton
    March - 1914
    Feather Theme From Forrest Gump
    Who Is He
    Perfect Peace
    Manhattan Skyline
    Music Of The Night
  6. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Good luck with your concert!

Last year we played music from the film E.T. Not an arrangement of bits and pieces, but an integral part of a few minutes (the part were the children go of into the sky on their bikes). So our conductor got the idea to play this music live with the movie projected to the back. During the rehearsals, it went wrong every time, until our conductor noticed that there was actually 1 bar missing from the arrangement :)
  7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

How did you manage to get the films projected? Did you use DVD players and big screen projection system?

In view of the on going discussion about copying music and copyright presumably the playing of DVD/videos of films in public halls is also illegal. How does this work on band coaches is that also classed as a public playing?
  8. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

There was a projection system available in the concert hall, I think. There also was a big screen on the back of the stage.
  9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

We've just had some information through about a licence that is available for those wishing to show films either as background or for organised groups. Having read it, although as a worship centre making no charge we would qualify, it doesn't seem quite to fit the bill as sometimes we may wish only to show a couple of scenes, whereas the document stipulates that films may not be cut or altered. It's an area I'm still looking at, and either way the responsibility would seem to rest with the owners of the premises.
  10. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Peter it would be nice to know if there is a legal option to show part of a film to run alongside a band playing. There are loads of excellent band arrangements of film music and from a visual point a band is not that interesting to look at.

The short cinema adverts that come on the DVD's could provide a brilliant back drop to play the music against. These of course are made to persuade people to go and see the film (money for the producers) how many more might want to buy the DVD after hearing a band playing the theme music along with them?
  11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The Public Video Screening Licence (PVSL) covers films from the following studios: Warner Bros, Ents UK, Columbia Tristar, UIP, Universal, Paramount, Dream Works, Buena Vista International, Disney, Miramax, Touchstone, Pathe and Entertainment.

Their website can be found at for further information.
  12. NAS

NAS Member

We're cleared to use it all cos they are all original shots for ease(old war post cards for 1914, pictures I took in NY for 'Manhattan Skyline' when I was there with YABB 3 yrs ago:) )... Apparently there was problems with 'Feather Theme' and 'Music Of The Night' so we wont be doing them:-(

As for the technical questions... I dont know. Im leaving all that to my Uncle(who has previously done this sort of work with many Salvation Army bands including the International Staff Band).

Should be a good night :)
  13. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hey Neil, wishing you all the very best of luck in this concert of yours sir. It is great to read of fresh and innovative new ideas being tried... let us know how it all goes yeah.

14. NAS

NAS Member

Cheers John! :-D
  15. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

it looks to be a super concert, im really looking forward to it...although some of the pics are a bit dodgy!!

WE're not actually showing images from any films though...just movie posters and relevant images.
  16. NAS

NAS Member

Like the euph and bari sectional picture? :p
  17. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

Wel yeah! Still the one of you is naff too!! :rolleyes:
  18. NAS

NAS Member

19. NAS

NAS Member

Just a quick thank you to everyone who wished the band good luck for the concert! It went really well and I knew the slides would add to the music but not as much as they did! It was great! Thanks guys...